Bream 'ooks

duncan

Haven't spent far too much time servicing reels I felt it was time to make up this seasons bream rigs.

But which hooks?.......... sad.gif

Here's a selection from the box - which, if any, would you use and why? If you have another suggestion I would love to here about that too!

For reference I have put in a standard size 2 aberdeen..............and for reference let's number them from the left (the aberdeen is therefore No 7)

post-5-1108899035.jpg

duncan the red ones are what we were using in new zealand for the snapper which are big bream

they liked these hooks because the bream family cannot see red so cant see the hook

tight lines sam

ps we were using them on pennel rigs for the whiting also and they also seem to like them

hope this is some help

Personally I have started using No.2 the circle hook. I have bought hundreds of these from UK Hooks in different sizes for all fishing this year.

I also dont think you can knock the std size 2 aberdeen - good hooks. But after experiments this year I am 'hooked' (excuse the pun!) on circle hooks.

My most recent purchase was some 10/0 tuna circles from Mike at UK Hooks. I used these on Thurs for the eels. While I had less hooked fish on these hooks, the ones I did hook stayed hooked. When I went over to 8/0 o'shaunesseys I hooked far more fish - but lost too many through poor hook holds - draw your own conclusions.

PS: Like the hook of the red hooks also.

AF

OK that's 2 for the red ones then so I am going with 1 up 1 down rigs using the red one up top and No 3 on the bottom 'cos it's a bit stronger and should handle anything that accidently comes along.

Adam, you know I love circles too - concerned about your implied hook up rate last Thursday though? When you say you wern't hooking up on the circles relative to the others can you explain a little more? How are you hooking the bait? I know James hooks fish baits the same way I do - cut off tail and though the 'root' once so it hangs clear on the bend; how much of the fish you use as bait related to size of prey............. rolleyes.gif

Here's some more hooks - same size 2 aberdeen included for reference and then there's the hok I caught just about everything on this winter together with the one I would use wrecking for conger............

post-5-1108908070.jpg

Duncan,

Started on 8/0 Tuna circles (similar to the one above). Was using a 1/8th of a whole cuttle about the size of a mackeral fillet, so not a massive bait. I was hooking it as you should with circles, just nicking the thin end of the bait and letting the rest hang clear.

I had maybe half a dozen takes where I struck, fish on and then nothing. The congers were not bucking the rods over as they sometimes do, but mouthing the baits like dogfish....I suspect that the congers were not getting the whole bait in when I struck - so I changed to 8/0 O'shaunesseys. I hooked more fish this way as I was on pennels and the hooks tend to stand a bit further clear of the bait, also I was 'knitting' the bait on with the normal hooks. BUT, the hookholds wernt brilliant - the hook holds on the circles were perfect everytime.

Adam

thanks Adam - sounds like they weren't just sucking the baits in then; maybe a factor of teh light tide but on the other had it certainly sounds like there was some feeding competition down there,

btw the smaller hook is packeted as a 10/0 by Mustad, the next (added this time) is an 8/0 tuna circle (probably the same as the one you were using and the largest one (shown previously) is a 16/0!

for comparison I have added a 10/0 o'shaunessey and added an 8/0 light circle by Miriabu - OK it's red but maybe a touch big for bream.......?

post-5-1108919821.jpg

Im still not convinced on the circle hook, I have a few in my box but there still in unopened packets! I think I will try a few for the bream this year ,but I will stick to the regular type for the conger.

Have you ever tried T barring a conger at the side of the boat with a circule hook? I did on thursday and It was near on impossible !!

James

Sorry Kam but neither hook stands much chance here. The rear one is totally dead and the front one is 99% dead as a circle.

re T barring circle - absolutely no problem whatsover; works a treat. The bend is going to be exposed so you simply put the Tbar on it and lift. Admit you have to give a good shake at the last minute - and have good tension on the leader - but they come out pretty easy in my experience. PaulJ may comment here...........

I like James am yet to be converted to circles

I used them a lot in New Zealand where they are very popular.

And have read about them a lot.

The theory seems to be that they go deep into the fish then as it runs they come out and as they pivot around the scissor in the jaw they then get pulled into the fish.

Obviously not all fish are caught by deep hooking and waiting for it to move off. so it explains why they do not always work . and I believe striking is a definate no go area you just wind in and maintain pressure.

The other thing about thursday is that eels tend to come in head first and back away or dive rather powering off to the side like a good bass or tope. so perhaps they are not the best hooks for eeling.

I had no problem with pennel rigged 6/0 Viravas Big Mouth Extras on thursday but had to cut quite a few traces to prevent damaging the fish, I changed to bigger single hooks to prevent this which cost me a couple of fish that spat the hooks. sad.gif

I chose not to use the Large circle hooks because of the theory about the way eels are caught/fight. dry.gif

Comments please

Charlie biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Thursday souds as though it would have been a great day to test theory! Really sad I missed it - especially as I didn't actually do a lot that day!!!!! mad.gif

The more positively a fish turns it's head as it moves away the better chance for hooking; equally, or possibly more important, the whole gap of the hook must be kept clear or you have no chance. I think you have about a 50% chance to hook the fish each time it takes the biat (and you try and pull it out!) harder/tougher baits give you a few goes - hence my love for a nice piece of cuttle or really fresh mackerel.

I would summarise as follows -

When you hook up it's going to be the lips

Some fish don't hook up well in the throat anyway (rays/tope) others you don't want to hook in the throat or lower (dogs, spurs, smoothies, huss and the above etc).

Some you really want to hook in the lips to avoid your trace being in their mouth/jaws through the fight.....(you know them!)

You will be better off fishing baits on the small side for the species targetted when using circles - if you want to fish really bit baits then point out hooks will score better.

I wouldn't fish circles for plaice or flounder because of the baits but look forward to trying them out for turbot (single sand eel or mackerel strip) in the spring!

tongue.gif Dead right Paul, not much good on a pennel and never strike. If pulled in a straight line they pop out without connecting. Streamer hooks from UK are good but I have reservations with stainless hooks. Red Vanadium Worm hooks from UK are very good and worth a go. Never had a problem T-barring circles, just pull the leader slightly farther around. Regards, BB cool.gif

Me and nick have various discussions on this as I sometimes prefer the circle hooks, but we always seem to end up back to the aberdeens for general fishing.

Although one point to note is that you need a short hook length (I found max 10 inches) for the circle hook to hook or you end up missing all the bites!, which goes against our experience that long traces (6ft plus) have more takes on, so is a comprise between more takes v hook ups depending on how many bites you are missing. Circle hooks also outfished aberdeens on pats for the whiting!

So this year for the bream will be using the circle hooks on paternoster rigs but aberdeen style type hooks on running ledgers. Or one of each on a wessex ledger biggrin.gif I believe veals do some very good aberdeen style hooks "big mouths" I think which when last went out on a charter teh skipper and other anglers recommended, although Mike at UK hooks is very good at suggestions and I find his sample packs very good when experimenting with new shape/size hooks, I think th octups live bait is a short shank wide gape hook which we found good

however have to remember that different styles may need different hook lengths and either a running ledger/fixed lead etc to maximise catches.