Trailer help needed

alun j.

Hi....I wonder if anyone can offer any help??

Coming home last Sunday, I heard a squeaking noise from trailer.....at home [short distance thankfully], I notice trailer leaning to one sde and the tyre had been rubbing on plastic mudguard. A look at the suspensionshowed the rubber torsion system not working on one side !

Now this is an unbraked trailer and the suspension is a galvanised cross member  axle with the wheel hubs connected to it and filled with rubber.

Some enquiries on Mon told me I need a new axle unit,  Orkney were helpful and put me on to their supplier at Mersea Trailers who can supply the part.

Problems start in attempting to remove the axle...held to the side arms of the trailer with two 19mm bolts either side. At first they were all seized solid....but some repeated sprays with Plus Gas type spray and a bit of heat on one got them moving.

Wheels off, trailer chocked and I start to remove the nuts....first one comes off easily...next comes half way then the bolt spins! ....and the othe two just turn the bolts !!!  My problem is that the heads of the bolts seem to be insde the trailer frame so I can't get at them !!   I'm now completely stuck!!

Any help appreciated.

Alun.

If you can get a blade between the nut and the bolt, would the cut bolt push back in to the box?

Then the question is how do you get a new bolt through!!

I could have a look tomorrow when I am round?

R

on closer examination......I don't think it's in the box section....but in a sub section part of the trailer that consists of two cross members that carry keel rollers and is hung on the box section side arms with U hangers; it incorporates the mudguard frame and covers the axle bolts.! What a pain...I'll have to support the boat and drop this section if it comes apart !

Alun.

I seem to be on the right lines....but am taking it slowly !....putting in a lot of chocs. The U bolt hangers are loosening easier than expected and I can see that that heavy mid section will drop. It's taking a lot of the weight of the boat on the keel rollers...so will put extra support in as I lower it.

Just hope this leads me to the elusive axle bolt heads.

Not at all like Meccano Stu.....which I always found to be on the flimsy side !!

No...I can't...I need to get new axle ordered asap !

Got a hex bit this morning ......and the last part came off [relatively] easily.

Now........how long for a new axle ??

Or more importantly . . . . How much ?

If it's to do with boats - - - - - - - - - - Not cheap !

Good luck Alun.

Jim

What a STAR !!! Full marks ..... and many thanks to Rob ... who not only had a 'spare' axle, that was almost the right size ! ...but who also did the lion's share of bolting it on as we rebuilt my trailer....with his [far better than mine] tools. RESULT ! ...and now I can still get out whilst waiting for my new one ...if weather allows !!

I think a few bass will be coming his way soon !

Alun.