Boat storage

Robo

Ok at the moment I am keeping the boat at home which is of course very cost effective and I can also keep an eye on the boat, but I now feel that I want the convenience of being able to launch easily and quickly perhaps keeping the boat on its trailer on land and in a boat yard, mainly because I feel I’m just not getting the most out of the boat keeping it at home and because of  the time and hassle of getting the boat out from where it is (my back garden) and towing it to Poole for launching, or maybe it’s just because I’m getting too old… and I want this part of my life to feel easier and more enjoyable rather than just hard work…

Anyhow I have come to accept that the next logical step for me is keeping the boat in a boat yard or at least to begin with and then perhaps maybe next year I might even consider a pontoon birth or something just for the summer season

(A swinging mooring doesn’t really appeal to me right now)

I have also come to accept that this move will cost me some of my hard earnt cash! It’s not cheap but that’s the price I am willing to pay for my fishing and boating, it’s what I love to do and my only real hobby

With all this in mind I’m trying to do some research to find the right solution so far as cost is concerned and also the best local boat yard, I have no idea??

I am trying to avoid any bad decisions along the way… I’m sure many members in this club have been through this process and I would greatly appreciate any tips or idea’s, anything at all, the benefit of your advice would be much appreciated

Thanks for your time

Rob.

post-1679-0-56542100-1406320503_thumb.jpg

All about priorities my friend.

Only you know the right answer. Do you have more money than time or visa versa?

My choice given your scenario would be to stay keeping it at home... For the hassle of launching, you'll either get a whole load more cost for a boat yard, or a whole load more maintenance for putting it on a mooring. It's an easily trailer able boat and you look to have a good hard standing at home for it, plus your close to the sea. Seems the ideal set up to me.

Adam

I take your point Adam and you would be forgiven for thinking my sittuation is idyllic, but for me I work very hard and some days when I get home from work I just want to get the boat out and go fishing for a few hours and thats just not reasonable given how much time it would take to get the boat out of my back garden down to baiter and then back again late in the evening, my garden backs onto a cul-de-sac and the road behind me is tight especially when they all seem to park out in the road... I can just about squeeze through without taking mirrors off cars! It's doable and ive done it for six years now I'm just fed up with it, its too much like hard work...

So ive not reached this decision lightly it follows a long hard struggle just to try and do what I love tpo do, Ive worked hard all my life and now I want take it a little bit easier, make life easier for myself and if that means I have to part with some cash then thats the way that goes

I expect I would only be talking summer season say April-October and then I will take her home and sheet it up for the winter, so if I can get a seasonal deal somewhere that would be ideal

Thanks so much for your reply ;)

Hmmmmmmmmmm !

Unfortunately we live in a very expensive area.

So - - - you have to weigh it up yourself.

Does your family like coming out on the boat with you ?

If you dry stack or moor you'll want to get out to justify the expense.

If you go off and leave the family you'll soon be sorry.

Now - - - If you all enjoy boating :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  Dry stack is well worth it.

No antifoul or anodes etc.

Just a quick call and off you go !

But on a boat your size £ 1700 you need to justify the cost.

Of course we can work on those figures to sweeten them up a bit  - - - - - - - - well if it's £ 550 for using the slip - - - - -  it's only gonna cost " just over " £1100  more - - - - -  plus the money we save on " make something up here " and then there's the money we'll save by not going "  add you're own bit in here "  etc etc etc.

I originally krpt my previous boat on a trot mooring at Rockley, inconvenient as I had to use a dinghy to get to it and anti foul it every year. Then moved to Cobbs Quay, no dinghy, still had to anti foul but very expensive. Then moved to private jetty at Wareham, £60 a year but along way to harbour.

Originally kept my present boat (Warrior 165) at home too much hassle. Now dry store at Rockley, £1800 a year but so convenient that I use thr boat much more.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Its a big decision and something i decided a few years ago. I fully agree how much of a hastle it is to tow the boat and it does put you off an evenings fishing as it can add a few hours to you trip.

I think Davis Boat Yard is still a good price for trailer storage, but the slipway is tidal.

I tried to get a good deal at Cobbs Quay for dry stack but for my boat they wanted over £2800 per year. dry Stack is a great option its just so expensive.

I am moving to a council mooring in Christchurch, this has cost me to get the boat anti fowled and i will see how it goes, but agree that it is a matter of what is right for you.

LS Marine also do storage and are very close to the slipways, not sure how good they are.

Just got a price from Davis's Boat yard, store on a trailer for 15 weeks including launching from their slip £375.00 inc vat + £80 Harbour dues, I was thinking about putting in a cheeky offer as we are mid season now... worth a try, in any event £375 is not too painfull but gotta use the boat though...

Just been on WeatherOutlook which is a website for predicting long term weather through computer analysis and they say all computer models show positive signs for the good weather to continue

A low from the North West will push temps down a little bit but more typical for July not especially low, but then it shows temps rising again, so looks like the above might be a good investment!

Still plenty of good fishing to be had this year

Thanks for all the advice so far.

Have you enquired at Rockley Boat Park, regarding keeping on trailer?

Hi Brian, I launched from Rockley once before but it seemed to take a long time to get out the harbour from there, also got to watch the low tides and stick like glue to the channel markers otherwise the water turns a grey sandy colour! Especially around my prop...lol Im also a bit nervouse about leaving my pride and joy too much out of the way, it's a bit dark and quiet down at Rockley :ph34r:

If you wanted to try it afloat

I believe that MDL Cobbs Quay are offering a two month pontoon deal

Not sure of the price , but it may be worth a try

I used their online quote tool and the F pontoons are the better prices but it doesnt say where the F pontoons are?? I guess I will have to go down and have a look, I did look at a plan of cobbs without any indicators of what is where, but I did notice some of the pontoons are a hell of a walk with all your gear just to get to your boat and given it takes me 15 minutes to launch and get going it makes the bithing idea seem less attractive, unless its at Davis's and up the carpark end "not too far to walk"

So I though having my boat afloat was the ultimate solution but not necessarilly the case! Depends on where the birth is... not that ive got that much gear, but i will need to carry my fuel tanks, my plotter radio etc, plus my rods food etc, no sense in struggling.

One other thing, would I get under the twin sails at high water?? My radar reflector is fixed so can't alter the height, less I modify it I guess

"Radar reflector is not in the above picture!  But its about 18'' tall"

the new bridge is half a meter higher than the old bridge i can get my 640 under the old one at 2.400 as long as i stay between the beams and thats with my radar on top, i am on f pontoon as well  turn left as you come in to cobbs

Robo

Several of us are at Rockley, they increased their security after 7 of us had our engines stolen a couple of years ago.

The channel isn't too shallow, I can get in and out at any state of the tide and don't have to worry about the bridges.

Keeping to the speed limits, it takes me 21mins to reach Stakes from Rockley (6knts in Rockley channel then 10knts), it took 17mins from the slip a Cobbs, providing the lights were with me at the bridges, (6knts all the way).

In the winter it's quicker from Rockley about 10mins (@30knts once clear of Rockley channel).

I have to say I really don't think its hard in launching your own boat ( that's all ready with all the gear and fuel etc) Cobbs charge per launch, or even a season pass, far easier than Baiter.

I can't afford a mooring of any type, the other reason is security, you can leave nothing on your moored boat, not even the battery's ,I even got my prop nicked, maybe I've just been extremely unlucky .

I have got a electric winch, it's a fantastic bit of kit, it's very easy to use it to get your boat in and off, especially handy for us old gits with bad backs!

They even sell these winches with a remote control, ( the whole thing cost under £ 90) the winch and battery are attached to the trailer)

Lining up the boat to,the trailer ? Two options, the best by far is to get a all swinging roller trailer, that's the thing on my most wanted list, the old type is a pain, you have to see how easy it is .

I launched a 20 ft flyer from Baiter last week using this method (anybody selling a full swing roller trailer please contact me !)

The next problem is moving it from you driveway , around parked cars, get yourself a 'Mr Shifta '( Seen them on eBay )

The biggest thing against a mooring IMHO is that I can launch when I want, from where I want, from Lymington to Charmouth.

I feel certain that If you choose a pontoon morning , the time it takes to load everything up, wait fro the bridge lift etc will be no different.

Horses for courses , swings and roundabouts , a good thread.

I don't think Davis' Boat Yard let you use the slipway during the winter.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Good Point Brian! But I would probably take the boat home in the winter and if I do get out i'll probably launch her at baiter.

I have to say I really don't think its hard in launching your own boat ( that's all ready with all the gear and fuel etc) Cobbs charge per launch, or even a season pass, far easier than Baiter.

I can't afford a mooring of any type, the other reason is security, you can leave nothing on your moored boat, not even the battery's ,I even got my prop nicked, maybe I've just been extremely unlucky .

I have got a electric winch, it's a fantastic bit of kit, it's very easy to use it to get your boat in and off, especially handy for us old gits with bad backs!

They even sell these winches with a remote control, ( the whole thing cost under £ 90) the winch and battery are attached to the trailer)

Lining up the boat to,the trailer ? Two options, the best by far is to get a all swinging roller trailer, that's the thing on my most wanted list, the old type is a pain, you have to see how easy it is .

I launched a 20 ft flyer from Baiter last week using this method (anybody selling a full swing roller trailer please contact me !)

The next problem is moving it from you driveway , around parked cars, get yourself a 'Mr Shifta '( Seen them on eBay )

The biggest thing against a mooring IMHO is that I can launch when I want, from where I want, from Lymington to Charmouth.

I feel certain that If you choose a pontoon morning , the time it takes to load everything up, wait fro the bridge lift etc will be no different.

Horses for courses , swings and roundabouts , a good thread.

Hi, I agree with you on the swinging mooring, my late farther was a professional fisherman and had a swinging mooring, I remember he was always concerned when ever there was a big storm and if you remember the big storms we had about ten years ago 100mph winds and my dads boat ended up on the beach near fishermans dock! If anyone can remember there used to be a big lump of concrete on the beach, huge! like and old foundation or something god knows where it came from?? But my dads boat hit that and smashed the hull to pieces, it broke his heart as he built the boat himself and he retired from fishing after that and that's one reason why I personally don't like swinging moorings, bad memories

For me its all about less hasle and most of that is at home moving the boat in and out from where it lives is a real pain and takes the enjoyment out of the whole experience, at the end of a days fishing i feel mentally fed up rather than on a high and its all because of the storage sittuation at home, it's bl..dy hard work!

Launching I have no trouble at all and same with recovery, if its choppy or windy I just turn the trailer into the wind and start winching, once i'm on the first roller its job done no bother, 15 minutes max and the trailers hitched i'm on my way home, I find the slip at baiter favors recovery as I can see the trailer in the water whereas a deep slip I cant see the first roller so its guess work to center the boat, luckilly I put coasters longside my rollers so I don't get hull damage even if I cant see the rollers but got to be carefull if there is chop or some loony bombing around on a jetski which rocks the boat around

Back to the storage sittuation I quite like the idea of parking the boat next to the slip at Davis's, chuck my gear on i'll be in the water and gone in 15 minutes

"I don't mess about you" Ive still got a little bit of research to do gonna give Cobbs a ring and go down and have a look but I think i'm leaning towards Davis's Boat Yard, at least give it a try and go from there

Interesting about the roller coaster trailer :o  I didnt realize you could use a trailer like that for a wilson, I though we were stuck with the bunk trailer

I'm thinking about renewing my trailer next year so its interesting to learn that there are options...

Robo

Several of us are at Rockley, they increased their security after 7 of us had our engines stolen a couple of years ago.

The channel isn't too shallow, I can get in and out at any state of the tide and don't have to worry about the bridges.

Keeping to the speed limits, it takes me 21mins to reach Stakes from Rockley (6knts in Rockley channel then 10knts), it took 17mins from the slip a Cobbs, providing the lights were with me at the bridges, (6knts all the way).

In the winter it's quicker from Rockley about 10mins (@30knts once clear of Rockley channel).

30 Knots :o  ha' ha' I don't think ive ever been over 15 in the harbour, intersting post good to hear all points of view thanks Brian.

Might look into that, they left a voicemail on my phone saying there was a special offer on!

Might look into that, they left a voicemail on my phone saying there was a special offer on!

There's never any special offers or Club Discount when I talk to them.

When I said I knew " Dogfish Dave " - - - - the price went UP :(  :(  :(

Then I explained he wasn't a mate but I'd been out fishing with him a couple of times the price came back DOWN again ! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  

As for the " Mr Shifta " I had one of those to move my Warrior around.

Yes it worked but it's all a pain.

So I sold the warrior and down sized to my little Tiddler.

Birthed on a pontoon About £550.00 for two months :o they don't do on a trailer storage only dry stack :(

I think Davis's is gonna be the solution, I like the idea of being parked right next to the slip, no walking miles with my gear just drop it straight into the boat

my only reservation is ive got used to the boat being at home, its going to be a bit of a wrench leaving it somewhere else where I cant keep an eye on it

I suppose you have to let go, can't have it all ways, the boats fully insured now i'll just take everthing off the boat thats valuable and the rest lock in the cabin

Im gonna think on it for a couple of days then make a decision.