Branksome amigo( s)

lofty

My Spanish friend Emma and her husband Fran are staying with us for a week and he is always commenting when I put up a kayak fishing photo on Facebook , that he would love to do that in England, as they can't catch any fish in Spain ( no comment)

Well my boss said " why don't you take Fran out fishing?"

In a cartoon flash I was gone and loading up my car.

Well I only own one fishing kayak ,and a two man perception, but gathering cobwebs on my rack is Simons Skua that he loaned Barry.

Would be a shame not to try it while I've got it( I'm sure its legally mine now anyway ;) )

So off to branksome with feathers and squid.

Arrived at 7.30 to an overcast morning with a herd of paddle boarders having a race up and down the beach. They were being filmed by a drone. Amazing bit of kit. The pilot had a vr headset so could see what he was filming. This drone was incredibly stable. I'd imagined fixing a reel to it and feathering for maccys and lifting them clean out of the sea and on to the Dorados rear helipad.

26BD16C6-5094-4FFB-8E3E-B005AE86DDC2.jpg

Met up with a new chum,Gary , and we swapped ideas for marks etc.

Rigged up and ready to launch.

Fran sat on my D2 and I pulled him out into the small surf. He was wobbling like a newborn lamb when a bigger than average wave took him in the face "CABRON"

Back to the beach,drain away, and a second more successful launch.

Now I'd given Fran my summer kit as we are both over 6 feet tall I knew it would be ok. Myself though was left with a choice. Drysuit or wetsuit shorts.

You can't wear kolas in a skua so I didn't want to walk on my drysuit socks, so I chose the shorts.

It's still too cold to wear shorts.

I shivered for three hours and drifted feathers with the rod beneath my ballbag.

A phot of my hairy toes and fungal big toe nail

32D06E49-F384-44DE-B5F7-29A9DEA0B8D4.jpg

Fran was now quickly used to the dorado2 and loving it.

Fish on. Pout. Fran hasn't blanked.

We decide to try a pot buoy. I set up my rope for him and he's soon catching

Species 2. Pollock.

Species 3. Tub Gurnard

Species 4. Starry smoothound pup

Species 5. LSD

Species 6. Scad

05CAA90A-7BC7-4F54-89A8-F1A21DB35629.jpg

A kiss goodbye

D48E4591-B5B6-4C4D-AB80-DCC452777740.jpg

All in three hours.

We had to move as the potter came to lift his pot . I saw him talking to Fran who couldn't understand a word. I got there as quick as I could but he was nice as pie and said we could tie on again in 20 minutes.

I also met another AA / Solent member, Graham, who had a nice 4.3 ,fishing really well. Good to meet you and Gary.

I tell you no one has ever been happier catching a dogfish, and isn't that what makes kayak fishing great?

"Like Sea Angler Magazine Fran"

10509E69-00A5-4567-A003-F3B27EA82206.jpg

And that was it.

We came in after 3.5 hrs and although the fishing was small it was constant and Fran had a "fantastico" time afloat

2 more for my species hunt, pollock and horse Mackeral, although actual maccys still allude me.

Roll on Tywyn thurs and fri.