Will you let the Big ones Go?

Coddy

Hi all

The link shown here is for a study by the WWF on the state of our seas.

It is a bit long but interesting. You will also need Adobe Reader to read file as it is a pdf file. You can download this free from many sites.

http://www.wwf.org.uk/filelibrary/pdf/heathcheck2005.pdf

Check out the Cod and Ray sections. Seems the Thornback and Blonde Rays are under threat!

Would you put back big fish to fight another day?

Makes you think

Coddy

cool.gif

Personally, I like to see the big ones go back and keep the smaller ones which are better for the pot, except Rays which all go back. I find it hard to kill them for some reason...they seem too intelligent!!??!!

And we have good examples of guys in the club doing the same things...Rich with his double figure bass, Adam with his 31lb Cod (but alas it wouldn't go back), the Chapmans with their Tope, etc, etc, etc.

BF

Hi All

I was not aware that Blondes are under threat but am very aware about how scarce the Cod have become. { Non yet on GW this winter weep.gif ]

A majority of our Members return a very big proportion of their catch. a large proportion of Rays get returned and survive but Cod are more attractive for the pot and less likely to survive even if you put them back.

I know that Adam tried to return his big fish without success.

The Club record for Blonde Ray was broken this week and that fish was returned even though it meant that the weight accepted [Max for scales used] was less than its true weight.

Nice to keep up with the news

Thanks for posting it

Charlie biggrin.gif

I really pea some people off when I tell them I keep virtually nothing. Most of what is caught on Maverick goes back in the briney. Dont get me wrong I do keep the odd bass, plaice, cod (chance would be a fine thing) and perhaps one or two whiting for my own table, I dont however fish for others, I cherish my sport to much. I have no problem with anglers keeping fish for the table but do object to peeps taking fish for the sake of taking.

I think for the most part anglers have given up on the old I'm alright Jack syndrome and taking anything and everything. Most think more of their fishing and childrens fishing future than filling the freezer.

If only all stakeholders thought like that their would be an abundance of fish for everyone to enjoy.

Martin

I echo all of the above comments. On a very rare occasion (ie the big cod where we had soooo much meat) do I share, but only to immediate family.

Even in the last 3 years my outlook has changed. In the early days of MK1 Tara, the fish box would often be full with whatever we caught, nowadays the fish box gets used as a storage box more often than not, as it is rarely used. Cod when the come, a few whiting each year, biggish place, mackeral and bass are all I really take - but in small numbers and not often.

I get much more satifaction from seeing a fish swimming away than I do seeing it sitting on my plate.

Adam

Personally, I think that the important aspect of this thread is the fact that its not just the fish which has been placed on the schedule, but the HABITAT as well.

Under section 24 of the wildlife and countryside act 1981, three species of skate have been offerred protection, but an appendix also ensures that their habitat has been offered protection under the EC Habitats & Species Directive. This is the way forward for protection of our fish stocks, not only protecting the species itself, but their living and breeding sites.

How they intend to police this directive, I still dont know, and how they will enforce the habitat protection issue, or gather evidence to ensure the prosecution of offenders will, I feel, be too expensive to put into practice.

I hope I'm wrong!!

Rich

I am sure that if Rich is right about the habitat being protected then somthing should be done about beam trawlers.

These are surely damaging the seabed when they fish the edges of banks for Ray.

But angling boats dragging weights to slow their drift speed must also be damaging these same area's.

People in glass house and all that.

Charlie

Charlie, the three species concerned here are: Common Skate, Black Skate, and White Skate. Without checking on latin names on the schedule, I'm not sure which specific fish these are, so I'm not sure that the directive applies in southern waters. I'll have a look at the document when I'm back from work, ( Work???? whats that??!!), and post again this evening.

I'm wondering whether the fact that Weymouth has been listed as an historic site has any implications of trawling of this coatline?? I somehow doubt it! Call me a sceptic! (Most do!!).

The Angel shark has also been offered protection here, as has a species of seahorse.

Regards, Rich

Rich,

Presume the document you refer to is this baby smile.gif

DEFRA Wildlife Act Review

Common Skate also get a mention in the WWF document here.

WWF Marine Health Check 2005

Both look like useful reading whilst Coronation Street is on tongue.gif

Of more interest is that this is currently a consultation exercise and it is proposed to add the species to Section 5. The National Federation of Anglers is included in the list of consultees ( I hope this is the NFSA and they forgot the "sea" part ) but they are allowing any group/person to respond via e-mail or post. So time to lobby I think, since it also states that the government's position is "Neutral" ( ie. It might not happen .. )

AND

It would be illegal to go Skate fishing within territorial waters - ie. Anglers targetting skate. I am sure, however, that most anglers would not argue with this.

"Section 9(1) of the act would prevent the deliberate taking,injuring and killing of skates"

Hi Paul

I would argue against a skate fishing ban as I go skate fishing in Scotland with others with Davy Holt who is part of the conservation team who tag all fish.

He has a wealth of information to say that no harm has come to any of the fish he has caught and tagged/recorded on his boat.

I/we would never keep one of these fish but I do fish for them.

In fact I am due to go up on May day Bank Holiday to see if I can beat my PB of 200lbs. smile.gif

Coddy

cool.gif

Sam, your time will come, as everything does to he who waits. Patience being an imporatant aspect of angling. Some may consider you very lucky to have a Dad who is prepared to take you out as often as he does, and impart his knowledge on you as readily as he does.

As you age, you will look back on these days, as I do, remembering trips out with my dad!!1 Gawd seems years ago now!!

It wont be too long, you'll be taking him out on your own boat I'm sure!! Be sure to learn lessons from postings on this site, however lighthearted they seem, especially the conservation aspect of the club in general.

Rich