Light rods suitable for the harbour

Skatenchips

It's strange for me to source such light gear as I'm used to 20 or 30 lb class rods for fishing the Solent waters around the island,but as we intend on learning small boat fishing from the safety of the harbour I'd like to know what rods have worked for you.

I'm a braid a holic so anything of reasonable budget around the 6 to 8 lb class,glass fixed tip or interchangeable are ok by me for flatties etc. ...small multi or fixed spool ,I don't mind,

Of course if there is a good tackle shop I can do some flexing I'll pop along as well.

Oh and I guess a light Bass lure rod might get my attention as well.

Any thoughts ?

Gazza

In no particular order.........

Grauvell Teklon lure rod and a Snowbee Raptor 4000!!

Hiro formula Bass rod and a Penn Slammer Liveliner 570  for a slightly heavier setup.

I'd use both for most inshore bass, bream, plaice, flounder etc. they are very strong.

The latter proved it's worth when I made a mistake over a wreck. Ended up pulling up 2 x 8lb pollock and a 2 lb black bream on the feathers from 200ft.

worth every penny. :rolleyes:

For the harbour, spinning gear or 6lb class is fine. Remember there's a bass ban in the Nursery Area.

Targets in the harbour aren't huge - bass,plaice, flounder, bream, wrasse etc, and light gear will be fine.

I use a Daiwa Kenzaki 6lb class, and an Ugly Stik spin, both are great.

Mike

Cheers fellers plenty of choice to ponder over,......

Yes budgie I've got the 12,20,30, and 50 class Triology that I had tailor made a few moons ago.....fantastic kit...but thought maybe

The 12 might just be over gunned for small harbour species,as I recall when I used to bring a load of Lads down by van from Heathrow in the 80,s if the weather blew up the skippers would bring us in the harbour and my then 20 class was well over the top.

Yes Mike,I use the kenzaki 20 for most things in the Solent or the 30 for blonde rays or taming eels off the needles as the rods arnt overly long but never had the need for the 6lb version till now so have not even flexed one.

Thanks for the fixed spool heads up Wedger,up until now I've only used shimano charter special 1000, s for 99 per cent of my fishing

And I know a mate that uses the slammers for all manner of species large and small so that is worth looking into.

Gazza

I never go without my cheapie - probably the best rod Fladden have ever produced, and still available I believe - it's a Maxximus Supersensor, 10 ft long with three tips. I only ever use the finest tip. it's very sensitive but with a lot of power too. I won it as a prize many years ago.I used it all day yesterday. There are more expensive rods available but while this one works so well for me I don't need to look for another.

I also use an old Silstar glass 1.75 tc carp rod in the harbour, being glass it has a through action.  

I fully recommend you get down the local tackle shop and buy one of those £12.99 telescopic rods that come in a plastic packet along with a ' Durco' reel.

I always find it works best when it get used by a child ( around the age of 12 seems preferable ) as this combination WILL out fish anything else you decide to spend your cash on

(Yes I got totally out fished by my daughter )

My personal recommendation is a bushwaker xltn , it has got to be the best lure/ general rod I have ever used bar none, I have no idea how they can produce a rod of this quality for £60.00 ish

• 4 weeks later...

Managed to get hold of a really good condition 6lb Conoflex Triology so well happy......but for those light days when wanting to throw an ultra light lure or baited spinner got a Shimano vengeance sea bass spin rod for 1 to 2 oz  and a small Abu Blue baitcaster reel,lovely little light set up loaded with 15lb powerpro braid.