assist hooks

sparky

Hi Gents, I've been making some leads, pirks etc, and would like to make some " assist " rigs for the pirks.

Could someone please give me advice on the best hooks to use for this................as I am getting baffled by the choices available !!!

I know there are some expert pirkers on here , any advice would be appreciated   :)

Thanks,     Mick

Hi Mick Trevor
I made up some of these last year as I have a mould for a 250g speed jig.

The advice was to use dynema core. Which is very pricey, so I popped in to see Pete at Quay West and bought his cord for a few pence. It has a ridiculous breaking strain.

Heat shrink in red from internet

Hooks were bought from UK Hooks
Octopus and tournament, although not advertised as stainless they do not seem to rust or tarnish
ALso bought hooks and tube to make gummy macs.

Can not say I have had a huge success, I could have invested the money in sidewinders and caught more, but then again I would rather fish flying colar style than go pirking.
Dave and his crew on White Magic do very well on pirks, with or without gummy macs

Hope that this helps

Charlie

Thanks for the info fella's, will pop into quay west as he is going to splice some rope to my anchor chain.

Will get the bits that you have recommended and make some, as for WM............that's why we call him " DAVE THE PIRK "  :P

Cheers,                MICK   ( aka Trevor  :D  )

Alright Kev................. but as you know, I'm too good at catching the wreck with those !!!!!!!! :angry:

I want to try these other hooks, fitted to the new pirks that I have made from the lead I was kindly given :)

I will look at the hooks on Veals later,   thanks Kev.

Hi Mick [sorry about the wrong name, getting old]

Before going to see Pete get the hooks, as you want the cord to pass through the eyes doubled up, before half hitching around the shank and super glueing.

Let me know when you are coming and I will bring a couple of mine to work, for you to have a look at. 07887 794716