A boat trip with my wife.

johnnyb.

My wife and I are coming down for our hols.I am bringing my boat hoping to get out and do some fishing.To get some brownie points I will take her on a river trip.

She recentley saw some pirates on tv going from poole to Wareham and wants to make the trip.(hope she doesnt want us to dress up).I see there are two rivers that go up that way and I presume the river Frome is the way to go.any advice will be gratefully appreciated.many thanks Johnnyb.

You are correct Johnny.

Plan your trip. If you try to go ( or be ) up there on a low spring tide you'll run out of water.

Most of the time though it's do-able for a small boat.

They run trips from Poole Quay on the big yellow boats to Wareham Quay so there's plenty of water in the channel ( except at low-ish tides ).

4 miles per hour in the river.

Plenty of places for a meal and a pint in the town.

I took Jacqui up there recently and we carried on under the bridge all the way up to the by-pass ( plenty of water ).

Nice little afternoon pootle to take mrs. Johnny B.

Jim

From Baiter you are in the harbour not the bay. The bay is outside the harbour and open sea.

Speed limit in the main channels is 10knots, not sure but maybe 6 elsewhere. They (PHC - Poole Harbour Commissioners) have rasas and video tracking boat movements, & patrol boats and jet skis!!!

Mind shallows and sandbanks from no where?, get a chart and stick to the channels!!!!

You would be surprised how much mud is on show, even on a neap low!!!

Rob

Thanks Rob,yes I was thinking of Holes Bay but I wont be going that way .

guess Ill try and go a while after low water and stick to the Wareham channel.

plan B.try and follow someone who I think might know where they are going or seem to be heading in the right direction.

Oh well learning all the time,

Thanks Rob,yes I was thinking of Holes Bay but I wont be going that way .

guess Ill try and go a while after low water and stick to the Wareham channel.

plan B.try and follow someone who I think might know where they are going or seem to be heading in the right direction.

Oh well learning all the time,

If following someone else at least you have company if you get stuck :)

Sorry Johnny, I assumed you had a GPS.

The harbour is nearly all mud.

If you don't have a GPS or chart plotting skills, you will definitely get stuck.

If you don't have a GPS some of the members have chart aps on their phones. Although there's no substitute for the real thing.

Have fun but be careful.

Jim

The harbour is nearly all mud.

If you don't have a GPS or chart plotting skills, you will definitely get stuck.

Jim

Woose

I kept a boat at Wareham for years, before even Decca Navigators were available for small boats let alone GPS.

The channels are clearly marked now.

Once you get near to the river, the channel is marked with stakes, keep closer to the middle of the channel than to the stakes, they are at the top of the bank and don't be tempted to cut corners. I've pulled many boats off the mud because they took a straight line from stake to stake.

Take a look at Google Earth, it shows the mouth of the river at low tide.

Oh yes Jim we have got a GPS on my boat and it does a million things I dont even understand,but I manage to get the basics.

I still havent found the button for sky sports.it does everything else ,,cant be that hard. ^_^

You'll be fine then Johnny.

Jim