Summer Species Hunt - Sunday 21st

Neal

It's time for round 2 of this years Species Competition

However - following last weeks Cobbs Quay Species Hunt - a few might prefer not to bother. So this post is to guage interest!

Given the on-going good weather I would like to see a few more of the Juniors being taken out - we currently have only one recording fish!

Alternatively, we move the comp to the Christchurch end of the Bay to see if it is possible to get anywhere near the 15 - 20 Species caught in a single day, which can be achieved at the Poole end!

Neal

Despite our recent successes, Fisheagle did not have a very good day on the fish front. The weather was superb and the company was great and I was able to run at just over 5000 revs giving us a speed of 30 knots. However, we were not able to fish Poole Patch to increase our species count due to a perceived oil pressure problem which which delayed us and had us limping from Southbourne across the Bay at just over 1000 Revs and 3/4 knots. Thanks to Dave and John for going onto the bathing platforms and helping me lift off the engine cowling. Not something we would recomend even in calm weather even if you are wearing a life jacket and roped on. Also to Charlie for offering to help us back had we needed it. It turned out to be a quirk of the Suzuki engine which kept the oil warning light flashing but did not give audible alarms and limit the engine revs. This apparently would have been a real problem. However, what we had and suspected, was an indication that  an oil change was required, but we needed to satisfy ourselves that there was oil and no overheating. To stop the light flashing we needed to switch off the engine, remove the Kill Cord and manually pull the Kill Cord Switch in and out three times. Never had issues like this with the old Nanni Diesel engine.

Species wise, dismal totals with three species to Dave and five to me.  

Along with Nigel and Mal, Sam and I went out aboard Wishin Too for the day.

Sam was very pleased to catch lots of mackerel, a mini Ballan wrasse, a nice little spotted ray of 2lb 3oz and a Tope of about 10lb- contributing to Team Wishin's total.

Thanks Nigel and Mal (not a couple... :D ) for having us along!