A foggy start

Mal Thomas

Visibility was down to 150 yards at times, but nothing was going to stop our day's fishing. My brother had made the trip from Egham Surrey; it was his first trip of the season and what a good trip it turned out to be.

We started the day with a 10lb 4oz thornback. I thought we peaked too early in the day. Is the day going to be a long day waiting for some more excitement? We didn't have to wait much longer before we had small eyed and thornies averaging 6-8lb.

The boat seemed to take an age to turn on the flood. During the tides we had a small starry smooth hound and a 2lb 5oz doggie. My brother then dropped something sizeable, the witching hour was upon us and expectation was running high.

A double hook-up was to follow and the landing net was out of reach, oh sh*!. I reached for the net when I saw my fish.Landing it myself, it wouldn't fit in the net. Two goes at it; done the job.

Small hooks, light lines and a quiver tip rod had my pulse racing a bit. I've seen a fish like this last year that won me some prizes, so I was eager to get it on the scales. A 14lb 4oz thornie was the result.

I  managed to slip the net under Trevor's small eyed 6lb ray for him. A dozen rays caught and all released. The final lift produced the biggest edible crab I've seen caught on a hook, so Trev took him for the missus. Two very happy Anglers were rewarded for our conservation when Niggle returned from Alderney and kindly gave us some Pollack. Cheers Niggle and congratulations on your 25th wedding anniversary tomorrow.

post-1571-0-02154100-1367869993_thumb.jpg

post-1571-0-31200200-1367870008_thumb.jpg

post-1571-0-13787800-1367870170_thumb.jpg

post-1571-0-94540700-1367870182_thumb.jpg

post-1571-0-65534300-1367870202_thumb.jpg

post-1571-0-40363700-1367870220_thumb.jpg

Sounds like a cracking day Mal, lots better than mine!

Your last ray might be a blonde or spotted - probably spotted! Worth checking for your species comp!

I only know one ray mark that can produce all 3, and that's to the West of the Ledge.

Well done - might change my plans for next weekend now!

Mike

Studied the ray and I go for it being a Spotted Ray, on grounds that it doesn't have spots which run right to the wing edge and it having bristles in the centre portion just behind the eyes and at the leading edges and on the tail.

What do you think ?