Battery

aikidojohn

No, not the type of battery the wife does to you!

No, the battery that starts your outboard and runs your lights!. I just got lucky and got a car battery that is a month old for £20. But do I need two? Should I fit a split charge blocking diode, if I need two battery's?

Do you have battery boxes for your battery?

I have a 50Hp Mercury, does that charge the battery or do I need to charge the battery at home?

Fishing over night and I can see you could well need two battery's, if only for safety.

Yes, a few more daft questions! But they are only daft if you need to ask twice.

AJ  :ph34r: 

If you search the database, I'm there were several threads about batteries.

Basicly, car battery good for starting outboard engine, but you will kill it early by running equipments off it.

Some run 2 batterirs set up, car for starting, leisure battery for running others.

The threads will have more details.

I run two batteries, one for starting the other runs my lights, radio, gps etc.
They are in battery boxes and I use a VSR (Voltage Sensitive Relay) to charge the second one.
 Voltage Sensitive Relay

I'll shortly be fitting one of these Battery Switch
It switches both batteries independently, but will combine if needed.

Auto switching split charging is the way forward to keep things easy and simple if you are having 2 batteries.

I run one battery which is best of both starting and leisure (Semi-Traction), a 50hp motor isn't too hard to start by hand should the battery go flat.

I got mine (Varta Semi-Traction) from MDC - Motorist Discount Centre, Wallisdown. They ordered it for me in a few days and were cheaper than the web:

Motorist Discount Centre

Wonderholme Parade
Kinson Rd, Bournemouth
01202 531065

There is a thread somewhere about buying batteries through a wholesale place that Derek worked for. Delivery is to Nigle's work (Nuffield Motors) - not sure if they do Semi-Traction but worth an ask.

I also have a battery conditioner that I plug in every so often to ensure that is it in tip top condition - Ctek Marine M45 : http://www.ctekchargers.co.uk/ctek-m45.php

HTH,

Rob

I fitted a dual battery switch to a previous boat and it did the job for me, it was a small Bayliner and the wiring was not designed for a leisure and a starter battery. Using 2 batteries mean that I always had one fully charged so took the stress out of worrying whether the engine would start after leaving instruments on. Something that had happened before.... :wacko:

The downside was remembering to regularly switch between the batteries, leaving it on combined defeated the whole purpose. I used a note on the instrument panel to help me remember. They were both combo batteries (starter/leisure) basicly ok for both functions but not ideal for either and the biggest I could fit in the space.

If I had the issue again I'd do the same thing.

Steve

I run two batteries on my boat, both are car batteries but one has a larger starting capacity than the other for the engine start. I run a 40hp outboard.

The other runs the electrics. I don't have a change over switch as I have blown a number of recifiers as not all change over switches have a continous make as you change from one battery to the other and with the engine running this can blow rectifiers.

I charge both batteries at home.

The best way to go is a splt charge as it will charge the main battery first and then automaticly change over to charge the secondary battery when required. It also stops a faulty battery draining the good battery.

Dave

B)

I do the same with a Battery 1 -> Both -> Battery 2 -> Off switch.

I steam out with both batteries in parallel charging and then when anchored switch to one battery to run radio / lights etc.

If switching for say Battery 1 to Battery 2 it is important to not move the switch through the "Off" postition if the engine is running. ( It risks destroying the regulator diodes )

Switching from Battery 1 to Both to Battery 2 is fine.

"I do the same with a Battery 1 -> Both -> Battery 2 -> Off switch.

I steam out with both batteries in parallel charging and then when anchored switch to one battery to run radio / lights etc.

If switching for say Battery 1 to Battery 2 it is important to not move the switch through the "Off" postition if the engine is running.

(It risks destroying the regulator diodes )

Switching from Battery 1 to Both to Battery 2 is fine."

Me Too!