2nd hand outboard

Gordoncooper1951

Hi Gordon

Without knowing what type of boat "JASPER" is it makes it hard to give you a simple answer but I would agree with Wedger that 10hp would be suitable.

Firstly do you tow the boat or is it moored?

If moored would you leave the outboard fixed on the boat or make it re-movable?

If trailered would you want a 10hp bouncing on the back of the transom as well as the main engine?

A 10hp outboard weighs quite a bit and trying to fix it onto its mounting on a rocking boat will not be easy, leaving on the boat may leave it open to "tea leaves"! (see Brian's thread about stolen outboards)

I should think 10HP will get you out of trouble should you need it but is your main engine 2-stroke or 4-stroke? If 4-stroke and you buy a 2-stroke back up engine you will need different fuel tanks and then you will need to decide how far will you expect to travel using this engine. This would determin the size of tank(s) you may need.

At 22ft many people decide that should a problem occur then dropping the anchor and calling Sea Start is the better option (see there site here http://www.seastart.co.uk/index.html) and when you work out the cost of the engine and maintenance it may be financially a better option.

As you can see there can be a number of issues to take into account when you get a bigger craft.

Personaly I would carry enough spares to carry out "simple" fixes and join Sea Start if you feel that outboard repairs is best left to the experts.

Most modern engines these days require a laptop to diagnose problems which makes it harder for the home mechanic to fix.

Dave

B)

Well, I'll put the case for a second engine. On Hilda Maud, which just shy of 2 tons and 23' long we have a Honda 8 hp as back up, permanently mounted to the transom, bolts welded on to avoid tea leaf trouble.

I've used the spare to get me back about 4 times in 8 years, we've had fuel and filter problems that hopefully are now things of the past. The 8 hp gets me back at 6 knots in calm and about 4-5 knots in rougher. I wouldn't be without one, it gives the independence to go out when I want and know that I'll be able to get back under my own steam. Both main and spare are 4 stroke. We have both serviced every year, although for the spare the oil usually only gets changed every two years.

We also make a point of running the spare every month or so to be sure that it will go when needed.

Others may be happy with Seastart but it's not for me I'm afraid, perhaps it's my sailing background where self-sufficiency is the norm.

Hi Gordon

As you have now said you have an inboard, yes you could use an aux similar to Chris, however you will need to carry  different fuel and my point about how much fuel for how long is still valid. Petrol also goes off, so it is said, after a month or three so unless you can use the fuel elsewhere 25ltrs is a lot of petrol or if 2-stroke, to dispose of in a mower or other equipment.

Most diesels are very reliable and I would suggest that regular servicing and checks are essental to help reduce a breakdown, nothing of course is guaranteed but that is why you have a VHF radio and journey planning to take into account of such an emergencies.

You would of course have made a safety call to the Coastguard to advise them of your situation and they will require regular updates on your progress and position just in case.

This would apply even if you had an auxillary engine as it is better to advise the Coastuard before any situation gets out of hand.

If you were out on the rips which is 25+ miles mid channel, engine breakdown how long would 25ltrs last on a 10hp engine? Agreed if no auxillary you could start to drift into the shipping channel which has it own dangers of course, I personally would drop anchor and stay put and call for help, I am not too proud to ask for help from anyone even if it was the RNLI.

Dave

Yes, I can see that with a diesel inboard you'll have to keep a seperate fuel supply, we have 4 stroke main and aux so no so much of a problem. I'd entirely agree about the reliability of a well maintained diesel. We've never had a problem in over 50k miles on the yacht with the diesel not firing up and working, unlike our four stroke on Hilda Maud.....

Still for info, regarding range, my 8hp does less than 2 litre an hour so you'd get back from mid channel on 25l, albeit v slowly.

Whilst not wishing to start an argument the bit about petrol going off if not used is a bit of an old wives tale. Yes, it will if exposed to air but in a sealed container not so. There are plenty of instances of people keeping and using petrol that is 5 or more years old.

Still, best of luck whatever you decide to do.

Chris no argument intended in any way

This is a forum where people give their views, right or wrong and I hope people reading this forum takes the information provided in that matter and they make their own mind up from what has been suggested.

Like many forums there are always some who can't bear to be wrong and in fact i am in dispute with a moderator who likes to chop my posts out as he thinks I am rude and abusive! :o  :wub:

Anyway I am sure Gordon has got the general ideas from us.

Regarding petrol going off, I agree that fuel goes does not seem to go "off" quickly, however if you have a problem in starting with old fuel often fresh fuel will start stubbon engines. I am not a chemist so I don't know all the facts i'll leave that to the experts.

Dave

B)

Chris makes a great point about using it regularly, Engines don't like sitting around so don't expect it to work after being neglected for long periods.

When i had an axillary i used to use it for trolling just so it got a work out.

Having an alternative engine is usually a great idea unless it's unreliable and only serves to lull you into a false sense of security

Use it or loose it

PJ