Poole Harbour Kayak Fishing

NigelH

Hi Lofty

A couple of weeks ago, I went to the Angling Summit in Westminster where Richard Benyon said 'I personally believe all fish should be allowed to breed at least once before we start harvesting them' - great news I thought - he then said 'for the bass minimum landing size review (that is currently under way in Defra), however, I will go where the evidence takes us and decide on the basis of the evidence'. The evidence, especially regarding fish stocks and economics, is rarely clear cut. It is different shades of grey and can therefore be interpreted, misinterepreted, spun, you can pick and choose which evidence you like and which evidence you don't like, especially as it can sometimes be quite contradictory. It's even worse when there isn't much evidence in the first place. The evidence Politicians use nowadays has to be capable of standing up to scrutiny in a court (there will always be someone who disagrees with a Politicians decision and fancies a legal challenge to it). Unfortunately, there isn't very much evidence like that about recreational sea angling and how valuable and beneficial RSA is. Without that evidence it is hard for Politicians to take decisions that will improve our sport by, for instance, taking decisions that will lead to more and bigger fish in the sea. It is also this kind of evidence that is ammunition for people like me to fire when we get to meet policy makers and the like. The more ammo I have, the better job I can do. The Politicians want more and better evidence and want to talk to people before they take decisions. That is why they are prepared to fund projects like this. If we don't tell them about what we do when they ask us, it can be hard to complain when things don't go our way. That is why I think we need to take every opportunity we get to shout about how many of us there are and how valuable and beneficial what we do is.

PS The

Hi Lofty

Thanks for that. I'm not sure I can make next Wednesday's meeting, but it's not me that wants to talk to you about kayaking in Poole Harbour. If you (or anyone else) want to talk to the person who is asking, let me know by Friday (or get in touch direct - it's Alex Potter at a.potter@dorsetcc.gov.uk)

If I can make it next Wednesday, we can have a chat anyway, otherwise we can save it for another day

Cheers

Nigel

Harbour, they want to know who is willing to help them by Friday!

Do you need to register an interest now Nigel?

Can the club register an interest? Should Anglers Afloat, is that actually a club?

Or do they want individuals?

PJ - you fish from a yak and spend loads, good case study!!!

Rob

I believe there is a Kayak meet at Hamworthy pier on 15th Dec

Was asked to be safety boat again but unable to make it this year

Thought I would mention it if anyone is interested.

Dave

cool.gif

I know there is a grey area here re- Ben , but there are still quite a few locals going to this, should be around 30-40 in total, and it would be nice if PBSBAC could stick something in the prize pot, a donation of goodwill, to show the Anglers Afloat members our support?. Doesn't have to set the world on fire, but a gesture would be nice in my opinion.

Over to you

Ps.

Not been contacted by Alex yet.

I'm not sure but I think it's RNLI. It's Bens show and I know he raised a fair bit last time. As I'm writing it up for BFM they're giving a years subscription and Aswatersports have given me a couple of bits. It's a bit of fun but if someone goes home with a prize that's good for them. I hope to put on something similar next year with the clubs support?