Not mine but worth a read

lofty

This is lifted from a mates post today on Anglers Afloat

Thought you'd like a read of Dans day

Arrive at Sandgate this morning to see a kayak already and waiting to be launched and promptly introduced myself to Frosty.

The morning looked a bit grim with a bit of rain, but I soon got set up and ready to paddle out.

user posted image

We set of for the mark I wanted to fish and told Frosty it was where me and Lureman had caught a few on the Kent cod meet so expectations we're high :)We anchored up and I promptly sent down one bait to try and get something for a live bait and the other a large Cuttle.

Just seemed to catch big Pout and dogs on the lug and no whiting, so switched both to Cuttle in the end.

I initially got snagged twice one on each rod and on both occations I managed to pull free and let more anchor warp out to avoid snagging again.

After a bait check on one rod I see the head gone of my cuttle so elasticated another to it but decided to poke a few lug up inside first just for good measure ;D.

Then after ten or so minutes I had a very subtle bite that I hit straight away as I was already holding the rod only to feel quite a bit of solid resistance and thought I'd hit the snag agian >:(

then it gave a little and the tip began to nod and I was into my first cod of the day ;D the next 5-10 minutes see me bring it up to mid water for it to then take more line back of me before I managed to pump it back up the water.

It began to sink in I was probably into my 1st double cod and I would say the last 25 foot it felt like I was dragging up a bag of spuds and I did think maybe it wasn't a fish after all, very strange.

When it broke the surface I nearly sh*te myself it was huge and I was relieved to see it was deeply hooked, I just had to drag it along the surface as the tide was running through now.

I grabbed it and plonked it on my legs and swore loudly ;D I'm afraid I only have my phone for pics.

user posted image

Called out to Frosty that I had a big one and said it is definitely a 20lb plus, I admit I have never seen a bigger cod that close up and spent the next hour with it sitting in front of me, I did try and move it to the rear tankwell when my feet got cold but nearly fell out with the sheer weight of it ohmy.gif

so had to leave it there.

I admit I was quite happy to have packed up and gone in after that but Frosty had come a long way to catch a cod so was only fair I stay out and keep him company smile.gif

I managed to catch 2 more one of 7lb and another of similar weight that fell of at the boat.

We packed up and headed in around 12 and said hello to Nitradave who also swore when he see my cod and said it looked bigger than his one he had last year, by now I just wanted to get onshore and weigh it.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Now for the weight on the beach with my digital scales is was jumping all around from 29lb 5oz to 29lb 12oz

I weighed it again at home on my avon scales and it came in at 29lb 10oz and measures 42.5 inches long.

One happy kayak angler that is me ;D thanks for coming along Frosty shame you never had any but at least you see a few ;D

Wow what a fish, especially from in Kayak range.

I am sure I saw a post somewhere recently that had a picture of the biggest cod caught on a Kayak, landed from the Bristol Channel

I am sure that this one is bigger biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Well worth writing to the mags about, I was given loads of tackle for that ray in Feb

Great fishing , well done