Bait Digging

Coddy

Hi everyone

The Wessex Division of Angling Trust is about to do battle (consultation) to try to save areas which will allow bait digging in the Wessex region.

If we lose this battle to some of the "conservation" groups not only will those who dig bait for themselves but possibly the commercial diggers as well who supply the local angling shops! Where would we get bait from?

Some might say get it from those who drag for bait on boats, but this is being looked at as well so don't think there will always be that option available.

What is being proposed by Wessex AT is that there is a maximum of 3lbs of rag worm per day per personal angler.

Commercial diggers will require a permit/licence to dig for commercial volumes.

This will ensure there is bait available to those who cannot dig their own and those who do can continue albeit with some restrictions.

It is felt that by allowing a maximum of 3lb of worm should be more than enough for an individual angler on a single day at any time.

This would then allow those who will have the powers to enforce such rules to check any bait digger is not exceeding the limit set. If it is a commercial digger then he/she would have to produce their permit.

It would also stop "gangs" of diggers coming down to the local areas and devastating the local stocks of worms.

It would be easy to say not in my lifetime but Natural England have other ideas, do we stay at the party or just say no and walk away and forget about comments about Magna Carter, the Marine Bill did that!

Your thoughts would be appreciated on this as there are some on this special committee who are looking for the anglers thoughts and support for the above proposal via this forum.

Dave

cool.gif

Edited by Coddy

It's a shame that we should need regulation but human nature being as it is ....... we may need to ensure these grounds are protected from greedy selfish you know whats.

3lbs seems more than reasonable and I'd support it only if is proved necessary and that it has a reasonable chance of stopping the threat of rape and pillage

PJ

I drive or walk along Holes Bay Road every day, and many days there are 3 or 4 cars parked up with between 2 & 4 bait diggers in each. They come with their trays, newspapers, buckets and forks and they systematically decimate the area, never re-filling their holes (probably so they dont waste their time re digging the same spot the following day).

Although I think it's wrong on many levels (I bet they dont pay taxes on their earnings for a start), I can imagine that if too many restrictions are placed on amounts these guys can collect it will push up the price, which in turn will bring more of them here with their buckets and forks. I suppose the answer would be for everyone to get off their backsides and dig their own bait when needed rather than just pop to the shop and buy more than we need (I can't see me doing that too often, i'd probably give up fishing first!!).

so, it's down to supply and demand. If WE demand it, they will supply it.

I used to dig my own bait, but since having back trouble if I dug bait I'd be unable to fish, so I have to buy.

I'd support the proposal if it stops the cowboys who turn up and ruin an area.

How would they enforce it?

Brian

Enforcement will be down to IFCA (ex Southern Sea Fisheries Officers) staff.

They will ask if you are fishing for yourself and if so weigh the amount of worms you have dug.

If you are a commercial then you will need to produce your permit there and then.

If unable to do so I suspect you would be reported and details taken and any worms retained.

This is how I think it will operate, but I have been known to be wrong sometimes! huh.gif

Dave

cool.gif

Brian

Enforcement will be down to IFCA (ex Southern Sea Fisheries Officers) staff.

They will ask if you are fishing for yourself and if so weigh the amount of worms you have dug.

If you are a commercial then you will need to produce your permit there and then.

If unable to do so I suspect you would be reported and details taken and any worms retained.

This is how I think it will operate, but I have been known to be wrong sometimes! huh.gif

Dave

cool.gif

Dave

I realise that's the theory, but in practice have they got the resources?

I ask because when I suggested putting signs up at Baiter slipway and on the shore at Holes Bay, showing the minimum sizes. The answer was they didn't have the money to do it.

I asked after seeing a chap fishing along Holes Bay Road, who had a pile of Bass, all less than 12". He didn't know there was a minimum size!!!