My first ever conger

Newboy

Nice fish and picture Kam.

Forget the comparison with JIMBOB, looking at the picture in detail I surmise that you landed this on a spinning rod with a light fixed spool reel, thin nylon snood to at best a medium wire hook. That is a great angling feat for any conger!

Hope to see you Sunday

I would love to say I landed the fish on a 12lb light rod with a 20 lb trace, small hook and took half and hour to bring it to the boat, but in reality, I was using a 7' 20-30lb boat rod with a 20kg braid and 60 lb mono trace.

It took me just under 10 mins to land the fish, had to keep talking to myself, not to rush it, let the clutch do all the work, wear the fish down..... I did everything John Wilson, Matt haynes, Paul Young said. (The missus didn't know I hooked into a fish and thought I'd gone ga-ga talking to myself rolleyes.gif ).

The rod at the back ground is a bass rod, I used it for whiting. The yellow trace mono is a 60lb (I think) I got it from the front cover of one of the fishing mag for nothing.

My tackles are a little sparse, I only have a 20-30 boat rod, an up-tider and a tele spinning rod, even the bass rod is my missus' dry.gif .

I like the congers and I might invest in a set of heavier gear.... cool.gif

Hi Kam

No real need for heavier gear for open ground conger, just need to keep up the talking to yourself if that keeps you calm during the fight.

I would suggest traces a bit heavier than 60lb though. I use 100lb to 250lb for the deep wrecks

And you may need to beef up a bit if you move on to the wereck so they can be quickly hauled away from the rusty bit.

Charlie