suzuki DF fault?

Graham Nash

I tried the search facility but it was having none of it sad.gif so here goes.

My Suzuki DF115 that I bought for my boat seems to be giving the mechanic a problem. When I bought it Iwas assured it worked and had recently been serviced before being removed from the boat. I have no reason not to believe this was fact.

Anyway, it's imaculate and came with the wiring loom still connected to the engine so Dan (shoreside marine down at Rockley) bolted it on my boat and connected it to my throttle controls, battery and dials. He flicked the switch but nothing happened unsure.gif ..... he was pretty sure it was a connection problem so put it on the back burner for another day. Anyway, following exhaustive checks he can find no connection problem.

It would seem that there is power getting everywhere that it should but absolutely nothing works. No turnover, no lights, no nothing weep.gif almost as if a fuse or the ignition is dead .... but neither seems to be the case blink.gif

He's calling the Suziki dealers for them to come plug their box of tricks in but before he does ..... Any ideas anyone?

Has he got the safty cord connected he should have but you can forget these things

mark

That was my first thought.

Presumably the fuse in the lead from the battery to the control lever is ok.

It's the white wire that goes onto the battery +ve with the main starter cable.

Edited by Brian

There are some very basic checks for power

Does it power tilt up/down

Is the panel lighting up

are the alarms sounding when the ket is turned.

Is the battery correctly connected

But as he is an engineer I presume that he has checked these.

It should not be the kill cord as she would turn over but not start

But it could be the gear shifter idle protection. fitted to prevent starting in gear, if it jams up it can prevent starting or even turning.

Also make sure that the engine has been earthed correctly.

I stripped a Yamaha 60 2 stroke, down to the cranckshaft once to fit new bearings, all went back fine but she would not go.

Using pictures and the wiring diagram I removed and replaced the electrics moving some of the black earth wires to exactly the correct places.

after that she started first go.

Hope it is just a small problem mate

Charlie biggrin.gif

If it was the "gear shift protection", the gauges etc would still work and be illuminated.

My money's on a supply/earth fault or faulty ignition switch.

indeed Brian, I misread the line regarding power/working/lights...ignition switch looking guilty now unsure.gif

Thanks for the input guys....

I suggested all of the above to Dan and he confirmed that he had checked and double checked EVERYTHING. He refused to be beaten so he checked everything one more time and found a pin inside a din plug was bent over and not making a contact. Straightening the pin and all is looking good smile.gif

I can sympathise with him because there are occasions I too struggle to find a tiny fault (too busy looking for a major problem to see the obvious). Anyway, hopefully I won't have missed the bream and maybe I will get to use my nice new fixed spool reel this weekend (so long as I dont get flooded by Wishin Too's wake!!)

• 3 weeks later...

I can only go by what I am told by the "mechanic" Rob and I am told that it was a simple pin on the din plug that was the problem.

It has been fine since launch, although I notice that it will not tilt up more than a few degrees while running??? Is this normal on the Suzuki DF range? My Etech would tilt as far as I wanted.

Thanks for that, I had missed the post originally and missed the plug bit when looking at the thread from my phone.

My yam will tilt passed phase 1 (where it is slow / low ratio and powerful for trim when underway) , in to phase 2 when running on muffs or underway.

If I recall Tomo/Alan had an issue with his Honda that meant he used much more fuel than expected on a long run in from somewhere.

I will look for that thread!

Rob