Shark family

Maverick Martin

In view of recent post within the forum regarding sharks and tope being returned to the scales dead, should we allow them in our open comp?

I am not fishing it but for what it's worth I think if it means killing something to win a few bob and a cup then one is not a true sports man. It's against one of our abiding principals isnt it? All fish should be returned alive unless wanted for food?

Mad Mike

Agree with both the above - they are allowed in all other matches throughout the year, so this 1 wont hurt....I personally would have problems bringing any fish that I wont eat back to the scales if I cant keep it alive....a big eel caught on the 1st chuck of the day included...Im not too sure how well he will like sitting in a fish box covered in a few inches of water for 6 hours....

I think this is an excellent idea and when reporting into BFM we should highlight the issues and hope that more follow.

As said closed comps allow the club memebers to put the return of fish above accurate weight in comps - where frankly it should be - but competitors in open comps can reasonably expect 'exactness' and fairness; so the committee have to deliver.

Your poll post desn't draw the line anywhere, and therefore excludes LSD and Huss as well as porbeagles, threshers, hopelessly lost blues, tope, spurdog and smoothies............I don't have a problem with any of those but some may suggest Huss and Dogs a step too far!

Whatever I think it an excellent solution to a potential problem bought about by the warm water conditions. Once the competition committee agree clarity about the rule is all that is required in a fair implementation and clear communication.

A tricky one to decide!... blink.gif

As Duncan says Dogs and Smoothies also come under to same banner, and I seem to remember a doggie taking a top prize last year?? So where do you draw the line?

I certianly wouldnt kill a smoothy or spur just for a prize, but I would consider for a doggie??

IMHO we should say no Sharks, Ie. Porgies, Blues and Threasher and no Tope. Anything else is to the anglers discretion.

Interesting dilema. However, how can we say on one hand "If it isn't for feed then leave it to the weed" and then on the other say "Well it's only a dogfish"

Surely same applies to dogfish. However, the good news is they are pretty hardy, so surely it is easy to keep them alive ?

An interesting fact to ponder over. On the Grand Banks, having decimated the cod fishing by overfishing, some of the boats turned to catching dogfish.... They are now an "endangered sepcies" in that part of the world. Amazing but true.

Shark Conservation