2012 Sea Angling Survey

Coddy

Hi all

At the last PDSAA meeting I meet Joise Pegg who is the researcher for the Sea Angling 2012 survey. She is doing this as part of her research degree at Southampton University and she does not work for any government department but will report back her finding to IFCA and others.

This young lady will be covering the area covered by Southern IFCA and from March she will be out and about asking if you are willing to participate in this survey.

If you are not just say so as it is purely voluntary.

She is looking for a good cross section of anglers from "expert" to beginner local to holiday makers, male and female, old and young, able bodied or with a disability, in fact as many people across the population

No names or contact details will be asked for or required unless you agree to be contacted again

To give you an idea of the questions you will be asked:

Your age group - under or over 16

Male or Female

Do you live in the UK

First part of your Post Code - ie BH, SO, DT etc

If you are more than one in a party how many of you

What type of fishing carried out - ie boat, shore or Kayak

Target species if any

Fishing method

Miles from the coast

How long did you fish for

Was it a competition

What fish caught

Did you keep it, released as undersized, catch and release or other reasons

How far did you travel for this trip

Mode of transport to site

How much boat fuel used in cost

Harbour costs

Fishing consumables used - costs

Equipment brought ie rods, reels etc in cost value

Meals/snacks - costs

Accommodation cost per night

Other costs

Do you belong to a club

How many times have you been sea angling in the last 3 months

Have you been interviewed before

I have been advised that this survey will continue for 12 months and then once all the data has been collected and put together it will be available for public viewing.

There is a different survey being conducted on charter boats, of which I do not have any information about at the moment.

The Angling Trust is fully behind this survey as it is the anglers opportunity to say how poor the fishing has become and how much money is spent by the recreational angler in pursuing his/her sport.

I know we each have our own opinions about this survey and I do not intend this thread to develop into who thinks it is right or wrong but I thought I would try to inform you all of what to expect if you are asked.

On a chauvinistic point Joise is quite attractive and very pleasant to talk to, so I suggest you don't vent your thoughts towards her if you meet. smile9.gif

So if a pretty young lady comes up and asks if she can ask you some questions you will be prepared! biggrin.gifwub.gif

Dave

cool.gif

Edited by Coddy

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All, just bumping this thread, well, the top part of it at least (will any of the contributors mind if we cull a few of these later posts?)

A bit more information on the Sea Angling 2012 Survey.

It is being run by the MMO (Marine Management Organisation) and it is a...

"...government-sponsored project to provide data on recreational sea angling that can help improve the scientific understanding of fish stocks off our coast, as well as ensuring that the needs of sea angling can be represented as effectively as possible in future marine policy development.

The data collected will enable national and local policy makers to make informed decisions on fisheries management, and provide the sea angling community with information to help them develop their own views and policies. This will benefit anglers and businesses while helping to conserve and improve fish stocks by ensuring management decisions are based on the best possible scientific data.

The project will look at how to provide the most cost-effective information on:

• 1 month later...

There's a new 'catch' survey, asking different questions, now available here: Sea Angling 2012

And the latest incentive of participating "Complete the online catch and economic surveys or answer our surveyors questions if approached while fishing, and you could win fishing tackle worth nearly

• 3 months later...

*Bump*

Josie has also suffered from the shocking weather that we've had up until this point, as it has meant that there haven't been a lot of sea anglers out and about for her to stop and ask a few questions to!

So she has asked me to post a reminder that you can complete the Survey(s) online... here!