Trying to find info

Coddy

I have seen a later one somewhere,a twitcher saw netting inside Christchurch harbour and he was arrested.EA and two police cars arrived after his phone call.

I think it was somewhere on WSF Dave,had a quick look but cant find it,if memory serves me right he was a local commercial wearing a bright flouresent jacket!!!!!!

Found it 2nd page of south coast

Illegal netter,xchurch harbour.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A mate of mine was bird watching with a couple of pals at xchurch harbour yesterday aft.Scanning all over the place for birds with their bins.On the other side of the harbour,about 700metres,he spots someone fishing.So he kept looking over to see if he was catching anything.Ater a while he noticed the "angler" wading around in the shallows.He could'nt work out what he was upto for a while then the penny dropped.He'd set a net,in my mate's estimation about 30yrds long.They watched him pull the net into the bank,with what looked like some nice mullet&Bass in it.At this point the phones came out!

It did'nt take long for the local baliffes to turn up&shortly afterwoods an envirement agency landrover.Well he must've been getting quiet abusive by now as two police cars then showed up.Not quiet sure what happened after that.But my mates pal got a phone call this morning saying they were going to prosecute him&he was a known local commercial fisherman.Apperently he had some big mullet&some nice Bass hidden nearby.I've seen a few of the photos my mate took with his long lens&what i can't understand is why he's wearing a bright dayglo jacket in broad daylight in a busy harbour.Obviously not playing with a full deck of cards.

It just goes to show it's worth knowing the right telephone numbers to call should you see this sort of thing going on&it's worth it.Hopefully this spanner will get a hefty fine for his trouble.

The Bright flourescent jackets are what I call " Nicking Jackets ".

We all think of thieves as looking like this photo.

When we see someone in a flourescent jacket, the average person thinks it's O.K. they're official.

Jim

Nigel you are a star! biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Been searching everywhere, knew I saw it somewhere.

----------------------------------------------

In case anyone has not seen the post on WSF I have coppied it below:

(Quote)

A mate of mine was bird watching with a couple of pals at xchurch harbour yesterday aft. Scanning all over the place for birds with their bins. On the other side of the harbour, about 700metres, he spots someone fishing. So he kept looking over to see if he was catching anything. After a while he noticed the "angler" wading around in the shallows. He could'nt work out what he was upto for a while then the penny dropped. He'd set a net,in my mate's estimation about 30yrds long. They watched him pull the net into the bank,with what looked like some nice mullet & Bass in it. At this point the phones came out!

It did'nt take long for the local baliffes to turn up & shortly afterwoods an envirement agency landrover. Well he must've been getting quiet abusive by now as two police cars then showed up. Not quiet sure what happened after that. But my mates pal got a phone call this morning saying they were going to prosecute him & he was a known local commercial fisherman. Apperently he had some big mullet & some nice Bass hidden nearby.

I've seen a few of the photos my mate took with his long lens&what i can't understand is why he's wearing a bright dayglo jacket in broad daylight in a busy harbour. Obviously not playing with a full deck of cards.

It just goes to show it's worth knowing the right telephone numbers to call should you see this sort of thing going on & it's worth it. Hopefully this spanner will get a hefty fine for his trouble. (quote end)

If you see a net illegal or not you can report it on 0800807060 free of charge you dont need to give youre name and they will take immediate action to check it out.

Dave

cool.gif

Dave

On a differant subject is there now limits to teh amount of bait that can be dug in the harbour??

I seem to remember something about this

I ask because this afternoon I passed a van and what looked like a team of diggers washing what looked like worms, the van was on the hard shoulder of the holes bay rd.

I was not sure about this, but would like to know in case I see it again

Charlie

I must admit to being fairly ignorant of what is lawful and what is not with regard to netting. It seems OK all over the place but what is it that makes the difference near the entrance to christchurch run? - and I dont mean the run of sea trout and salmon.

whilst this was a plainly daylight activity, I'm always amazed how many people are afloat at night-time on the rare occasions I'm out , and I can't believe its all legal fishing.

Its good to publicise these numbers and also maybe the law regarding nettting and illegal fishing would be worthwhile as well.

biggrin.gif Paul

The Bright flourescent jackets are what I call " Nicking Jackets ".

We all think of thieves as looking like this photo.

When we see someone in a flourescent jacket, the average person thinks it's O.K. they're official.

Jim

Plonker !

I did it at work and didn't attach the picture.

post-9-1319574333.jpg

Charlie

In answer to your question, as far as I am aware there is no by-law restricting the amount of bait removed.

There are plans to introduce a by-law to restrict a bait digger to a maximum of 3lbs of bait per person per day (suggested limit) but this have to be approved and passed by the authorities.

I suspect this or these by-laws will be in other locations along the South Coast to prevent wiping out the rag/lug population.

Concerns are being raised as to have some licenced operators, of which there are none at the moment as far as I am aware, who may have restrictions placed on them regarding volumes taken out as there is a need for bait to be supplied to tackle/bait shops for anglers to purchase. I am of course talking about "bait digging" and not bait dragging which is another subject/debate altogether.

As soon as I hear anything more positive I will of course report back.

Dave

cool.gif

ps Rob, that bait diggers leaflet must be old as it still has the NFSA logo on it.

ps Rob, that bait diggers leaflet must be old as it still has the NFSA logo on it.

Indeed Dave, but I think the message is still valid and other than the logo I assume it is still very much valid.

I am old and still useful, I think!!! blink.gif

Rob