how much braid?

Graham Nash

I bought some 10lb of this braid a couple of months back for my fixed spool reel. After 4 uses for breaming, the line has started to fray. I can see part which is thinning out and the falling out 'bits' are collected in lumps on the braid.

Needless to say I shall not be buying anymore of Spidercrap. Will be going back to my trusted Power Pro next time.

• 2 weeks later...
dont personally advise using wire on any traces nowadays 250 mono should be plenty heavy enough for anything we would be going for ,just think of a poor old tope or conger swimming around with awire trace snapped off in its mouth

Can't see the problem Graham either the fish snaps or bites you off then swims around with a hook with either a length wire or mono attached, the hook will eventually fall out along with whatever is attached to it.

Martin

point taken about the hook eventually falling out but also wire not so user friendly when using t bar most people tend to wrap the last few feet of trace around the hand when doing this and if something went wrong the wire would be alot harder to cut than mono. btw good article on light tackle topeing in bfm this month

we use wire biting ends about 9" long, on fairly small very sharp bronze hooks with small barbs on our tope traces.

the traces are in about 100lb mono.

I do not think it would take a tope long to get rid of one, or for the hook to rot out.

Would agree with you and thats what I would reccomend and use myself should I ever fish for those brutes rolleyes.gif

Martin

we use wire biting ends about 9" long, on fairly small very sharp bronze hooks with small barbs on our tope traces.

the traces are in about 100lb mono.

I do not think it would take a tope long to get rid of one, or for the hook to rot out.

My only worry is that a big fish might swallow the whole lot, how much damage (if any) would a 9" wire do in its gut before it rots out?

I've seen a rusty treble hook sticking out of a bass' ass, so I don't believe hooks and wire do rot out as quickly as some others believe.

I have seen this subject debated on other forums,some say stainless hooks are safer for fish as they stay "clean" as normal hooks start to corrode but can cause infections?

The end result in the other forums was 200/300lb nylon with cycle hooks as they are more likely to get caught in the corner of the jaw

Nige

Interesting thread

I have seen 200lb nylon biten straight through more than once, by what was almost certainly tope. As the idea of circle hooks is to let the fish take them then apply pressure so that they hook into the corner of the mouth on their way out, these must also stand a good chance of a bite off.

Kam we try to hit our bites early nowadays, so the chances of a deep hooked fish are minimal, a lot of fish are landed chewing on the hook or the single strand wire very close to it.