Antifoul Removal

Adam F

After the events of last weekend, BW needed some patching up on her belly. Fortunatly it was only sknin deep, and a trip over to see Peter R Snr, very kindly saw me kitted up with all the bits I need to repair her.

While I was under there looking at what needed doing I had the stupid idea that it would be nice to strip away all of the old anti-foul, and re-polish or antifoul her again......

I bought some gel antifoul remover for

Adam

I have started stripping Mavericks bottom (no comments from you MM) hence the patchwork look which I think is quiet fetching, well that's my excuse for not finishing the job. I have the same problem as you re: the driveway but a quick blast with the pressure washer and it was sorted

Martin

No weeds cos antifoul is more lethal than weedkillers. blink.gif

Do make sure the driveway is wash properly, otherwise pets or small children can pick up them easily.

Make sure you wear proper breathing protector when sanding, as you can brealth in poisoness dust, may not kill you , nevertheless not good for your lung.

Also be very gentle with the bottom coat, as orbital sander can be too strong and stripe away the gelcoat which you don't want. smile.gif

Kam advises..........Also be very gentle with the bottom coat, as orbital sander can be too strong and stripe away the gelcoat.

Nah, Adam allways uses Kimmeridge slip to strip his gell coat laugh.gif

Mad Mike

Seriously Kam is right about the dust as it containd dioxins and carcinogenics. One'll give you skin superations that wont heal and the other lung cancer.

The little paper masks will not do you need a proper filter job with eye protection.

Or do it by hand with wet or dry used wet with lots of water.

Hi

Just read this post

My understanding with antifouling is you dont need any on a boat that is on a trailer as it is never in the water long enough for any growth to apear ,the worst you may get is a slime that can easily be washed off,

I would remove it all, for more advice try

http://www.ybw.com/cgi-bin/forums/postlist.pl?Cat=&Board=mby

Cheers Dave,

I have applied 2 coats and got about 80% of it off - the rest is too subborn to remove with chemicals, so wet and dry is the way forward.

I am basically going to use it as a winter project, as I can still use the boat whilst Im doing it, and do a small section at a time. I have now sanded and polished the starboard topside and you cant see where the old antifouling was!

1 question though? Being lazy and hating manual sanding, I want to use a power tool with a buffing pad on to restore the shine. What do you think is best - an orbital sander fitted with a polishing bonnet, or one of the cheapy car polishers that you can buy?

I have been using both in an effort to 'restore' car paint work recently - living next to a railway I get electric conductivity grease followed by metal brake dust forming a kind a rough top coat to paintwork!!!!!

Orbital does better with the various grades of cutting compound, the polishers are pretty fool proof at buffing.

One small point - don't waste time and effort getting it back to a beautifully waxed polish if you intend to antifoul! Sounds obvious but I have know people do it without thinking!

Adam

I tried one of those cheap orbital buffers and although they do the job they do it slowly. I have one and you are quite welcome to borrow it.

By far the quickest way is to use an angle grinder with a polishing/buffing head attachment fitted. A small one would be better for use under the boat as easier to hold up. Dont apply to much pressure let the tool do the work

Martin