Saturday big tide paddle

lofty

The call of the yak is strong.The weather seems good and the tide is big.

I've never paddled Wareham river and with the big tide Saturday i'm hatching a plan. Dropping my wifes car at Baitor about 10.30,driving her and my kit to Wareham.She drives back to Baitor,swaps parking ticket and cars ,and all I have to do is catch the ebbing tide down from Wareham to Poole.

All comments welcome as I've not done this trip before and if anyone wants to come with I can get another boat on my roof bars,just have to meet up at Baitor.

Anyone know the time this should take or the distances?.Is it worth taking a rod and if so what bait and what and where should be fished? Im not so bothered about the fishing this time ,just fancy the trip but all input welcome.

Lofty

As Graham said, Ragworm for bait.

Anywhere between the river mouth and Baiter could produce a Flounder or a Bass.

Although there doesn't appear to be much about.

I was out with Derek yesterday, on Sea Sparkle, we fished a mark that was supposed to be a "Dead Cert", the Dead bit was spot on!!! So much for a mark from an ex charter skipper (perhaps that's why he's an ex Charter skipper!!!). laugh.gif There are plently of crabs about though.

Edited by Brian

The call of the yak is strong.The weather seems good and the tide is big.

I've never paddled Wareham river and with the big tide Saturday i'm hatching a plan. Dropping my wifes car at Baitor about 10.30,driving her and my kit to Wareham.She drives back to Baitor,swaps parking ticket and cars ,and all I have to do is catch the ebbing tide down from Wareham to Poole.

All comments welcome as I've not done this trip before and if anyone wants to come with I can get another boat on my roof bars,just have to meet up at Baitor.

Anyone know the time this should take or the distances?.Is it worth taking a rod and if so what bait and what and where should be fished? Im not so bothered about the fishing this time ,just fancy the trip but all input welcome.

Lofty

Hey lofty ,sounds like a good plan ,

I have paddled to wareham and back a few times , looking at the tides i wouldnt leave wareham till 12.30pm , depending on your paddle fitness you should make it to baiter in about 3 hrs but if it was me i would park at the bottom of evening hill next to east dorset sailing club (small free car park), it will only take 20 mins longer to get there , also i would consider taking a headtorch and trolley but leave the rods at home, that way you can take your time and enjoy your surroundings , , have a good trip . .

Ben rolleyes.gif

Just to report on my day. Following Bens advice I set out from Wareham quay at midday after being dropped by my lovely wife. The paddle down the river was very relaxing and I didnt see another soul .If you've not done it before it is a bit on the dull side as there is nothing to see but reeds ,although the fast flowing water is nice to be on.

The river is about 3 miles before it widens out into the harbour backwaters and a well marked channel is easy to follow. Here is where it got a bit grim. The wind was blowing across the harbour in a NW at about 15miles per hour and this made the water very choppy and got me pretty wet. The going was a bit of a slog and I think I was also going against the tide as well as I think it was 2nd high which I wasn't banking on being so strong. After a piss stop at the old pits opposite Rockley I pushed across to the marine hard and this was a low as I seemed to be going hammer and tong to get nowhere but eventually made the foreshore in the lee of the wind and what a difference a bit of shelter makes.

I then got my own second wind and enjoyed the paddle along the Hamworthy shore,past the park and had a little bit of fishing by the Ro Ro terminal to no success ,although I was only using the portland eel lure which has worked for me before with bass. Then just the final paddle over to Baitor and my waiting car.

In all it took about 3.5 hrs. I worked it out to be about 8 miles.I am a pretty fit chap but there is no way I could have gone back again so hats off to Ben for doing the return trip previously.Thanks for all the input pre-trip and I hope this helps if anyone else is contemplating doing it. Tiring but enjoyable, What it really highlighted to me was my little tek sit on is not built for distance paddling and a proper sea kayak was the only realistic boat to do it in . For the effort I put in ,in a sea kayak I could have probably gone twice as far.

post-165-1295726559.jpg

Well done lofty , yeah i bet that second high was hard work especially in a short yak and wind over tide , always a good time to hit the beach on arne and get some sausages cooking then catch the ebb later . . You need a prowler 13 for longer distances and fishing comfortably , the sea kayaks are great for speed but no good for fishing,

Big coincidence.I looked at a kitchen to fit this week (my business) in Ashley Heath for a husband and wife acupuncturist . They had a treatment room in the house.They seemed like a nice older couple.Mr and Mrs Connor 01425477561.Hope that works out for you

Big coincidence.I looked at a kitchen to fit this week (my business) in Ashley Heath for a husband and wife acupuncturist . They had a treatment room in the house.They seemed like a nice older couple.Mr and Mrs Connor 01425477561.Hope that works out for you

Only problem is Zzippy needs a witch doctor laugh.giflaugh.gif

Lofty you are welcome to have a go on my T13 , should be out this weekend somewhere , it should suit you fine if you are doing longer trips too as it has plenty of storage space inside the hull . . .

Ben rolleyes.gif

Cheers Ben but........ordered one today from Bournemouth kayaks. The trouble is my boyhood love of action man got the better of me and I've ordered it in camo.......As Sergeant Wilson said to Captain Mainwaring "Do you think thats awfully wise?" Look out for "eagle eyes Lofty" soon laugh.gif

Like Charlie ....... not sure camo the best choice in busy channels but hope you wear something or "fly" something bright and visible for boats to eye.

Hope you have loads of fun and find the fish.

Dave biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Far less offending to the eye in the back waters of the harbour and easy to hide when wild camping wink.gif