Gelcoat repairs

Adam F

After our little 'experiance' on Sunday, BW now is looking battered and bruised.

numerous surface scratches are evident - but I plan to wet and dry these out and then re-polish the gel coat? Is the the correct method?

The more seveare ones ate under the waterline where she hit the rocks, I have a couple which have breached the gelcoat and I can see fibreglass, although I dont think the holes are right through.

How do I repair these?

After our little 'experiance' on Sunday, BW now is looking battered and bruised.

numerous surface scratches are evident - but I plan to wet and dry these out and then re-polish the gel coat? Is the the correct method?

The more seveare ones ate under the waterline where she hit the rocks, I have a couple which have breached the gelcoat and I can see fibreglass, although I dont think the holes are right through.

How do I repair these?

Adam Am I right in thinking you want a 'proper job' rather than summat that will get you back in the water for the time being? If you will let me come round and have a look at what needs doing I am sure we can work out a job plan and get it sorted sharpish.

Mad Mike

I've a book on hull repair, very simple yet lots of background info. Probably not as helpful as Mike, but make very interesting reading on general maintenence.

I wouldn't bet that I am better! I started out with book learning and I am still very keen on 'looking it up' from a book.

Actualy it might be an idea to have a 'teach in' at a meeting on how to make good a cracked/split laminate.

Mad Mike

Adam,

I'll have a go - you have seen the superb job I did on the front of Neo smile.gif

Seriously, I have actually tidied that up now and it is really not that hard at all. ( Still need another coat/sand to finish off better ) Yacht friend at work showed me - acetone to clean out the hole and then gelcoat filler stuff left to harden off then sanded down with wet and dry.

The hole on the front of Neo went right through to the fibreglass as well and was about the size of a 50p piece - and that just from bumping a pontoon at 45 degrees whlst being pulled by the rope !