Storm sandeel, anyone remember them?

Newboy

Was supposed to be whiting bashing on Malaki out of Portsmouth today, but was informed that the new engine blew up last week (well, at least it's still under warranty), so a last minute trip on Top Cat lll out of Weymouth instead, the plan was breaming in the morning and bassing in the afternoon.

There are still some nice sized bream in weymouth, caught 5, all but one were above 2 lb, the largest a touch under 3lb.

The bassing were really slow to start with, sidewinder, savage gear sandeel, delta wotsit even my trusted ribbed 'guaranteed to catch a bass lure' were used and non were catching. I then found an old packet of 6" green Storm sandeel and I thought "tried everything else and might as well try this", not having much confidence since I'd stopped using them about 3 years ago when various lures came on the market and it was old news.

How wrong was I? On the day nothing else will catch, I caught 5 bass (nothing big) and accounted for 7 out of 10 bass that was caught on the boat today.

Everyone were really suprised they worked when other didn't.

So just because something is old it doesn't mean it doesn't work anymore rolleyes.gif

Was supposed to be whiting bashing on Malaki out of Portsmouth today, but was informed that the new engine blew up last week (well, at least it's still under warranty), so a last minute trip on Top Cat lll out of Weymouth instead, the plan was breaming in the morning and bassing in the afternoon.

There are still some nice sized bream in weymouth, caught 5, all but one were above 2 lb, the largest a touch under 3lb.

The bassing were really slow to start with, sidewinder, savage gear sandeel, delta wotsit even my trusted ribbed 'guaranteed to catch a bass lure' were used and non were catching. I then found an old packet of 6" green Storm sandeel and I thought "tried everything else and might as well try this", not having much confidence since I'd stopped using them about 3 years ago when various lures came on the market and it was old news.

How wrong was I? On the day nothing else will catch, I caught 5 bass (nothing big) and accounted for 7 out of 10 bass that was caught on the boat today.

Everyone were really suprised they worked when other didn't.

So just because something is old it doesn't mean it doesn't work anymore rolleyes.gif

I'm glad you posted this, I've got a load of them on the boat which I bought in fit of frenzy and have only used them a couple of times with no success.

Now, they'll be going for a swim next year!