Two stroke 55 hp

Wedger

I have a Suzuki 55 hp that I am told was last run 2 years ago. I propose to start her up for a run but would think that a little care is in order.

I propose to:

Change plugs

Redex in pots and rotate by hand

Clean carbs

Replace fuel line

Change cooling impeller

Double up oil mix to 25:1 for first hour or so

I've not done 2 stroke for a while so have I got it right or have I missed something?

Comments invited please.

I can't think of anything else. I assume when you say 25:1, it'll be fresh fuel.

Trevor, 1 question.

I'm about to write a cheque for the pennant, who do I make it payable to?

Edited by Brian

Hi Trev

I would go easy on the oil mixture.

If you are squirting Redex in, it will smoke well as it starts in any case and adding extra oil may well give you problems in starting and running/setting up the carbs. Too much oil will make it run too cool, plugs will oil up and you will have to strip the carbs down again.

I would suggest adding a "small" amount more oil if you feel you need to but I would let it run on "normal" mix just to make sure everything runs and sounds as it should.

If you recall the old seagull outboards use to run on 10:1 and if you managed to change the jets it would run on 25:1 but still smoke like hell.

If it is manual start, get a new pull cord for the rewind or if electric start check starter cables for condition. Don't want an electrical fire! ohmy.gif

Might need a new primer bulb as they perish and the one way valve can stick + inline fuel filter.

Have fun

Dave

I would back up what Coddy said--don't over oil the fuel it will only cause you grief and not solve anything. If the engine starts run it for a while in a tank--say 20 mins to half an hour max. My long experience with two strokes tells me that running them up in tanks eventually leads to oiling of plugs even with oil injection and the best way to keep them in good condition is to get it on a boat and get the revs up under load. An hour's blast around will soon let you know what's what. Take a buddy boat if you're unsure.

Peter

Hi Trev......

Just to endorse the thing about oil mix...... in my limited experience I used to run a chainsaw a "little rich" because of longish lay ups.....and it was a repair centre that informed me the design mix for two strokes is for when the engine is running on high revs and getting hot......if you are idling away a lot and not revving the engine above say half full throttle...you will oil the plugs and cause problems ......ie you are over oiling the engine for the work it is doing.....

Pete and Dave have got it right I think !!

Best of luck mate ....hope it goes well.

Dave biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

interesting thread

my 2c

1. I would actually run it a little light on oil to start with - I would want the pre treatement redex to deliver my initial lubrication to the pots and then I want the fuel with a further redex treatment to wash away any gunge released around the rings etc. I'm also assuming here that the first 15 mins running are going to be in a tank and that this is an older engine running on pre-mix so, as someone else has commented, something closer to 200:1 (or less!) is what modern units will meter out at low revs. Keeping oil low will assist in the setting up of the cards, if adjustments needed!

2. Given the history of the unit I would probably just check that the gearbox oil is present until I know I have a runner from tank work - then I would flush and fill with the highest quality gearbox lube I could (Mercruiser High performance or similar)

In practice I would probably only do the redex and fresh fuel until I knew it would fire/start rolleyes.gif but then everything listed is good - possibly add that there should be some form of anode somewhere that would probably benefit from replacement, check the prop for the normal and grease the prop shaft splines etc and even flush the waterways with something.......

look forward to hearing progress!

Edited by duncan