capsized boat

mw

Thank for all offer of help I have managed to get it back upright and removed all of the water not sure how long it was under but cant find any damage the fuel tank is missing the battery terminal on the pos side was new three weeks ago yet it fell apart when i pull on it I cant under stand how it flipt over I would think the engine will be shot .will go down in the morning to see if its floating incase it has a whole in it mark

lst time I had an OB under water the advice was to get the engine back under water asap - really asap

but this time in fresh water with an additional element (that I can't remember)

after a few days you dry off the engine - oil and fuel, corrosion stuff on the outside and fire it up

however, all the above was for a simple small OB with no wiring..........

mine worked absolutely fine (4st Merc) until some t'leaf nicked it.

as to the rest you will need to

1. replace every wire and electrical component straight away

2. replace battery

3. wash off all wood (bulkheads etc) inc scrubbing with detergent. Then use a dehumidifier to dry things.

4. steering mechanism and cable may be a problem

5. engine control cables - may well be OK but a good clean.

good luck

edit - 'cos I forgot the control cables!

Edited by duncan

sorry to hear your bad news, you say you wondered how it happened 2 yours ago I kept my sailing boat there, I had a phone call from mooring officer to say my boat was up on a sand bank. Someone had stolen my mooring for ther own use and let my boat go and drift.sheered tiller and damaged the hull , speaking to some one else also mooring there they had damage too, just wondered if the same **** are up to tricks again.

Good luck .

Dave