Weekend weather???

domino

I was hoping to get down to Weymouth with the boat at the weekend... but the forecasts I've seen suggest it may a bit too windy Saturday, but perhaps a little better on Sunday?

I was wondering which (if any) of the online weather sites you guys have found to be most accurate and reliable... or do you still rely on a piece of seaweed??? tongue.gif

My problem (well one of them!! wink.gif ), living so far away... is that if the forecast says F5 and I stay away, then I've no idea if they are telling the truth.

Cheers,

Alan

I find Metcheck to be the most accurate with the Met office site coming second, also the Met Office 'inshore waters' is a good guide...........

http://www.met-office.gov.uk/weather/europ...alsouthern.html

http://www.metcheck.com/48hrforecast.asp?l...ry=UK&Coastal=1

http://coastguard.members.beeb.net/Coastgu..._files/tide.htm

But one needs to look at the wind in relation to where one could go. A force 4 to 5 easterly is 'orriblr everywhere EXCEPT Portland Harbour where one can fish in the most disgusting weather. A NW wind means that most of the Poole Patches and the shore line drifts along Bournemouth are relativly calm. For family picnics the harbour area of Christchurch is realy well sheltered from most strong winds as too is the Wareham river at the top of Poole harbour. Poole is not a bad target on a doubfull week end there are plenty of nooks and crannies to hide from the wind and if it turns out better than you thought you can always shoot out into the bay.

Mad Mike

I like to use : http://www.onlineweather.com/v4/uk/sailing/SF24.html

It is always a little over pesimistic, and I reckon about 90% accurate (pretty good for a weather site!) anyway, as they usually err on the side of caution if it looks good enough on here, it is usually good enough at sea. As MM said wind direction is paramount.

Living a reasonable distnace from the sea myself, I only go when I KNOW I can get out!!

I vote for Theyr too - I have found it the most accurate over the last few years and simplist of giving me a picture of what's around for the next 60 hours.

Being 150 miles from the boat, and entering the 6 months of teh year when I only come down to fish ( rolleyes.gif ) it's pretty important to know you likely options!

This weekend looks like a window of flooding large tide and dropping wind for Poole Harbour entrance Saturday evening/night to me at the moment......

This weekend looks like a window of flooding large tide and dropping wind for Poole Harbour entrance Saturday evening/night to me at the moment

After dusk if it's a bit too brisk to out I have fished the deep bit between the two little piers at Brownsea during the stand between full flow and second high. Thre or four times I have been smashed up by conger. Well that's what I was trying for anyway. One was quite spectacular when a corroded reel locating ring burst under pressure and the whole lot went ripping down the rod taking all the rings off and leaving me with a stick! mad.gif Oh what gentile words of admonishment to rod manufacturers were uttered laugh.giflaugh.gif

Mad Mike

Thanks guys, for the comments re. weather web sites... there are a couple that I hadn't previously found.

Duncan... I have to travel nearly as far you... 115 'ish to Poole, 135 'ish to Weymouth... too many times I have towed the boat all the way to Weymouth and then spent the day in Portland Harbour!! mad.gif ... and I'm sure there are equally as many occasions when I've stayed at home and the forcast wind hasn't turned up!! weep.gif

Still undecided about Sunday... forecast looks OK... but my daughter has has just moved into her new house today and I expect to be called on to put up curtain rails etc.