Scales

Rob

All,

When I recieved the club scales from Adam I thought it wise to check them as with a specimen comp weight is vital as an ounce out of a 6lb fish can make an awful lot of difference to a result (an ounce on a 40lb conger is more acceptable).

I found that the club scales were accurate after 10lb but before that they weren't great - so we opted to use a nice set of digital scales from Neal Sturt.

If people are interested in testing their scale with some calibrated weights I might be abel to help and borrow some from work. These weights have been proffesionally calibrated.

Let me know and we could do something at a club evening.

Though unlikely to have a draw we did this year, we had a tie at 9th with 90.63% on 2 different species!

Rob

Really strange how scales can vary over a range of weights.

We weighed the first blonde on the boat at around 21lb when finally weighed onshore it came in at 19lb 6oz so the original weighing was over. When Dean caught the winning gurnard it was weighed on the boat scales at 1lb 6ish but when weighed in ashore on the club scales it went 1lb 9.5oz so on this occasion the boat scales weighed under. just goes to show different scales are suited to different types of fishing

Martin

Another pat on the back for Rob, well done for testing this prior to the comp.

He phoned me to ask my opinion after realising the accuracy doubt. We both agreed accurate scales were a must.

[and before anyone asks , I did not need them tongue.gif ]

Unfortunately its another reason to wonder about having multiple weigh in stations.

Charlie

Really strange how scales can vary over a range of weights.

We weighed the first blonde on the boat at around 21lb when finally weighed onshore it came in at 19lb 6oz so the original weighing was over. When Dean caught the winning gurnard it was weighed on the boat scales at 1lb 6ish but when weighed in ashore on the club scales it went 1lb 9.5oz so on this occasion the boat scales weighed under. just goes to show different scales are suited to different types of fishing

Martin

They dont have to Martin Different types will of course vary But same type and same make of good scales should calibrate ok otherwise the govt weights and measures would be out of a job. derek wink.gif