Why do my trailer wheels lock?

Graham Nash

The wheels on my trailer seem to lock solid on occasions.

At first i thought it was probably salt water rusting the brakes on, but the last time I used it I noticed they locked when I pushed the trailer backwards down the slip way making it almost impossible to pull it back up the slip, they would reverse but not go forward sad.gif .

Last weekend i tried pulling the trailer out of my yard and they were locked solid, (I have a 4 wheel trailer and it was the back 2 that were locked). I jacked it up and the wheels rotated about an eighth of a turn either way before locking solid so its obviously not the brakes blink.gif ??

A neighbour came out and suggested that the bearings were binding and hit the hubs a couple of times with a lump of wood and they released?!?!

Once they released it towed absolutely perfectly but once i reversed it into my yard they locked again ... So they seem to lock after reversing, but maybe thats just a coincidence?

Any ideas?

There should be some sort of mechanism which stops the brakes coming on when you reverse- this may need stripping and cleaning.

Or

It could be that the brake linings have come away from the shoes.

Or

I found (prior to fitting hub flush kit) that enough rust would grow on the inside of the drums to stop the wheels from turning.

I found (prior to fitting hub flush kit) that enough rust would grow on the inside of the drums to stop the wheels from turning.

I dont think it is rust (I did at first) but they do turn freely for about an eighth of a turn then stop dead.

I think the linings coming away sounds like a possibility. I suppose that would explain them freeing when the neighbour hit them.

Another good tip ( although probably unrelated ) is to pull the trailer forward so wheels turn say 1/4 turn after having pushed trailer backwards.

This prevents the brakes from sitting on the drums from where the trailer was pushed backwards.

And another, if you think that the trailer is likely to be sitting still for a while (like mine invariably is rolleyes.gif ), put the whole thing up on axle stands. You can then give the wheels a spin every time you walk past them, just to keep things freed up.

Re the rust on the inside of the drums- you would be surprised!

Quite tough 'granules' formed up on mine which gave exactly this effect. Turning the wheel collected the granules up on the brake lining until enough were sitting between the lining and the drum to stop it spinning. They had also 'grown' to the extent that they made pulling the drums off the hubs (sto strip and clean)extremely difficult.

Salt water is amzing stuff.

I suspect this is where the brakes need adjusting. Ive had this numerous time when I had my Warrior.

If the linings have come away from the shoe, then the brakes will be locked solid.

On here somewhere is a long thread by me detailing how to strip, clean and adjust a set of brakes and hubs.

The problem you have is that the drums arnt actually 100% round. Where your brakes arent biting enough, when you brake they move but dont make contact with the drum face, but snag occasionally when the high spot of the drum makes contact. This doesnt sound plausable... but trust me it is.

If you adjust the brakes up, I'll bet you when you brake you can actually feel the drums bite and the trailer 'sit-down' slightly and pull on the car - this shouldnt be excessive, but you should feel the trailer brakes working.

The adjuster is a 17mm nut on the rear of the drums which adjusts the spacing of the shoes. The way to set them is to jack the wheel up. Tighten the nut right up solid and then back it away 1/2 a turn at a time, until the wheel rotates, but you should hear the shoes lightly rubbing and the wheel shouldnt spin for more than 1 or 2 turns unaided.

Do this both sides and I think this will cure your problem.

The linings come away from the shoes for a living. Ive tried all sorts and never managed to get more than a few seasons out of a set. Stripping the hub back and giving it a real good clean and rub down with a wire brush and a liberal covering of grease (not on the shoe and drum face!) will help.

Ring me if you need any more help.

Adam

Thank you very much all.

I have a feeling i will be under the boat this weekend rather than on it, but hopefully we will get this sorted and it will make my future trips out much easier.

Incidentally i do pull the trailer froward by a couple of feet once i park it but it hasn't helped the last couple of occasions.

Your descriptions sound exactly as i am finding Charlie & Adam.

Thanks again

Graham