Optimax V ETec V 4 Stroke??

Graham Nash

Having been looking about for a new toy I am stumped about the merits (or pitfalls) of the engine ......

I used to be into motor bikes and was constantly rebuilding my old Suzuki GT750 2 stroke, so I bought a 4 stroke Honda and all was well .... Till now I have used the same theory in outboard engines but have been completely confused by the people selling their high value boats who all tell me their choice of engine is the best ...

Optimax 100 (2 stroke) with less than 100 hours on an 18ft boat

Etech 90 (2 stroke) with about 180 hours on an 19ft boat

Yamaha 100 4 stroke (unknown hours) on an 18ft boat.

Till now I would have steered away from 2 stroke, but what is the oppinion of the people who use them??

Absolutely love my E-Tec 40. New style 2 strokes ( DI / Optimax / E-Tec ) are not like 2 strokes of old.

I know Gordon loved the E-Tec 90 on his warrior as well.

I guess anyone who chose an engine is bound to think their choice was best as that would be why they chose it smile.gif

I wouldn't (be put off)

Optimax is very well established and pretty fuel efficient. It's lighter for the HP and has less moving parts than a 4 stroke........

E-tec is similar; newer but the teething issues got resolved. Slightly more efficient than Optimax in theory.

Honda and Yam 4 strokes are also great and the former used a lot by commercials - the latter getting a better name all the time.

They are all good - and all miles from 'old 2 strokes'.

Martin ( Maverick ) had an Optimax on his Warrior 175 and was happy with it although I think there were some issues with early ones ?

I can only say how I have found the E-Tec. I cannot comment on the Opti but personally I wouldn't be put off.

I bought a new Optimax 115 for my Raider last year and its brilliant, nothing like the 2 stokes of old. At 18 knots cruise it burns 0.7ltr/mile, so last Saturday a launch at Wick out to the end of Christchurch Ledge and back used 7ltrs exactly. I went back to 2 stroke after lots of corrosion problems with a 4 stroke and the amount of oil used is tiny with mixture ratios of up to 200:1.

Gordon H

Hi Graham,

I have the E-Tec 75.

Had the first service last year at 3 years old.

I can only say that I am very pleased with it.

I can't comment on the other brands.

Honda give 5 year warranty I believe.

Jim