Diesel Lift Pump

Mike Fox

Well, after just 2 weeks ashore, Frisky went back in last weekend, and I serviced the Volvo 2003 diesel for the coming season.

The lift pump seemed a little sluggish, and I really struggled to fill the secondary fuel filter before fitting it, but I thought nothing more of it till I tried to start the engine.

Even with a warm engine block, it was very hesitant to start, and tickover was very low.

I popped to get some replacement filters as spares to keep onboard, and mentioned this to the marine engineer who advised at 20 years old, the engine probably needed the injectors servicing, or the valves regrinding..as this is a common problem...and quite expensive.

We spent a while discussing the cold-start mechanism (no glow plugs), and he suggested the cold starting problems might be fuel supply related, and suggested removing and stripping the lift pump as an easy check.

I've never had to do one of these before, but went back to the boat and removed it. ...with diesel siphoning everywhere until a spare latex glove and cable tie stopped it (stop cock on fuel tap is in a deck locker and too deeply buried...need to plan a better arrangement!)

Stripping it open revealed a spring inside had slipped out of position, and replacing this, and reassembling in reverse order appeared to work. Tickover and starting is much improved.

A "10-minute" job took me an hour, and I was delighted to be lashed to a static pontoon and not in the middle of the shipping lanes with no wind.

Will have to pop down to the boat today and see if it fires from cold better, but am hoping that's the cause, and then tomorrow go for the first shakedown trip

Anyone else had similar problems?

Mike

If you have had 20 years out of a lift pump, you have done very well.

Its usually the diaphragm's that go weak or leak, you can get service kits with all the parts you need from Keyparts or Volvo.

As my engine got older on Great White I added one to my onboard spares box, just in case.

Well done for the DIY repair, although a little concerned that you did not isolate the fuel.

I would have to agree that as a long distance sailor you need to rethink access to the isolation valve in case of fire. Knowing you Mike you probably have by now.

Charlie biggrin.gif

Good advice Charlie, but the isolation valve is next to the fuel tank...in the main cockpit locker, and readily accessible in the event of a fire. Might get a service kit just so it's available if ever needed...good suggestion.

The real problem was me down below, steps removed, diesel everywhere, and kicking myself for not turning it off. I did know....just too keen to get on and sort.

All worked fine today, decent tickover, started quickly from warm. Just cold starting still an issue....as ever with this model (pre-glow plugs!).

Mike

Mike has your cylinder head got holes in head for glowplugs? As u could fit them and relay.If its hard to start this time of year whats it like in winter?

Ref the injectors if not been serviced in 20 years I would get them serviced as will run much better and more efficiently.For that u could use John at Poole Diesel tell him Nigel sent u from Nuffield Motors and he will look after u wink.gif