Chains from ferry.

mike60

I am new to Poole harbour & was wondering about the chains from the chain ferry,

I take it that when in transit across the entrance the chains are tighter on the forward side of the ferry & so higher in the water, Would it therefor be wiser to pass behind the ferry on exiting & entering the harbour? & at what depth are the chains, below the surface?

Mike.

There is the risk that someone could cause a problem in front of the ferry, which then makes the ferry stop or slow down.

This can cause the chains behind the ferry to be pulled tighter and come nearer the surface.

If in any doubt, stay a good distance away from it.

Jim

Cheers lads, was defo gonna keep clear anyway, & certainly did think about chains tighter in pulled direction, That is a good point about accidents & chain coming nearer the surface. I was wondering just how near the surface the chains normally come but as I see lots of boats going in & out then that shouldn`t be a real concern under normal circumstances, Oh! & I definately wouldn`t comtemplate going in front of the beast, i value my boat & my neck too much to be that much of an idiot.

Mike

I would imagine, with a fair tide running, the chains are going to pretty taught back and front. Beam on, that ferry isn't exactly stream lined!

I remember that video of an elderly couple with their sailing dinghy banged up against the side and the wife getting swept right under. She survived but it was not pleasant to watch!

Stay safe you Poole guys!

Martyn

That was another of my mates.

She was in her 70's.

He was eventually helped onto the ferry.

They were sailing an X class dinghy. The ferry blocked their wind and left them helpless.

Never drift towards the ferry. Always away from it.

Jim