If all else fails

transportline205

Rob,

The answer is go for the biggest motor you can fit/afford, but to give you an idea my Raider 18 has a 6hp auxiliary and it will get me home at 4 knots using 2/3 throttle and will just make 6 knots flat out. Also quite handy for trolling lures and controlling the helm from the back of the boat at low fuel cost.

Gordon H

Just thinking back to my wilson 17 days I had a 5hp 2 stroke. I would have prefered to have changed for a similar 4 stroke (sold the lot) as the premixed fuel in the integral tank would go stale if not regularly used/changed.

6 to 8hp will do the job as already outlined - if you are looking at 'get you home' capability then it should be able to run on the main engine fuel system.

with no wind or tide or waves 4hp will give you the illusion of sufficient poke but, quite frankly, things don't pan out that way in real life!

it's no surprise that the engines that work well at this are in demand and command a high sh price - they will be reliable, good torque and light for their output. Tohatsu 9.8 is the real king.

do beware putting too much additional weight right on the transom - I have a 3 ton 25 footer but adding the 30kg tender on weaver davits makes a huge difference to the boat's trim. 20kg on a 17ft boat will do at least the same.

Thanks chaps, at least i think im thinking what your thinking,i think huh.gif no seriously all good stuff,and Duncan i know what you mean about the weight this was one of my main concerns. I notice some of these 4 strokes are quite heavy for a little engine, 28kg just over a new type bag of cement, for a 6hp. Its no good my mate is going to have to pack in the cakes for a while, biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif ooops i hope he's not loged on,thanks all,Rob.