Newb - Gary

Member Removed

Hi Guys, just joined after being converted(ish) to the dark side biggrin.gif from coarse fishing wink.gif hanging up my carp rods and getting back to my roots, sea fishing... well, if I'm honest, I'll still coarse fish occasionally but very much want to get back in to sea fishing.

As a lad, I lived on the Lincolnshire coast digging for lugs, trawling the breakers for shrimp, braving the groynes for peelers and losing many a welly in the mud flats.. all in the name of putting some fish on the table... even had a stab at codlining for a few years before near shore trawling desimated the practice sad.gif ... desperately cold times and I look back wondering why I'd get up at 3am to unhook a few fish at low tide... I guess it's in the blood?

Anyways, another confession is that the immediate purpose of joining this forum, is a fella on another forum (YBW) has recommended your forum as a great source of info and as I'm about to venture out in my newly acquired Fletcher 19 GTSC for the weekend of the 5th Feb with a few mates, I'm looking for a buddy boat or three to join up with to show me the ropes, fishing in and around the needles. weather permitting of course.

Probably best to leave it at that for now until I get to contribute to the forum and post a few threads asking for advice. I'll do a bit of reading in the meantime.

cheers Gary

Hi Gary

Welcome to the forum, you're certainly in the right place for advice and help.

As far as buddying up, it's too cold for me at the moment.

Where you based and where are you launching.

Thanks for te warm welcome Brian... I'm hoping it's going to warm up a tad by February.. here's to hope!

I live in Milton Keynes so trailer the boat everywhere.. crazy place to live and own a boat but as the intro suggests, I guess it's in the blood so where there's a will there's a way and all that malarky... I've invaraibly launched from Lymington public slip and berthed in Berthon but will launch pretty much anywhere if it makes sense and it's practical to do so.

cheers

Hi Gary and welcome to PBSBAC

Glad you took my advice and looked in here.

Unfortunately my boat is not trailable but some of the guys will be along to offer assistance re launching sites etc shortly.

Most week ends in season there will be a few club boats fishing around the needles area. Coding comes to an end around the end of Feb so not long now before the quiet season and April before other inshore species move in.

Any questions just ask away

Martin

Hi Gary

Welcome to to the best club on the South Coast

Before I moved down South I used to live near Bedford so I know how far the sea is. I used to belong to the Bedford Sea Angling Club until it folded due to lack of members.

We use to fish from Felixstowe so if you get a chance it makes a good option for trying for differant species.

Regards trailer launching have you had a look at Hythe slip to the West of Southampton?

It is a nice slip can be tide dependant but can give good access to the Southampton/Solent waters.

Worth looking at this site http://www.boatlaunch.co.uk/ to get some idea of other slipways.

Local to Poole, Baiter slip is the only public slip worth talking about and even that is poor due to its shallow angle of ramp and the number of numpties that use it!

If you pay you can use Cobbs Quay or Rockley both have a bit of a run to the harbour entrance.

Christchurch/Mudeford slips are ok at certain states of tide but many have damaged props on the bar at the entrance, best to wait until the spring when they replace the entrance buoys unless you go with a local who knows the current state of sand bars!

Where ever you launch do make sure you are safe as many places around this area can turn nasty quickly and having somewhere to run in an emergency is important.

Dave

cool.gif