A night out ......

alun j.

Being a novice to night fishing afloat [ and disappointed by catches of mostly tiddlers on the beach] I jumped at the invitation to join Paul for session targetting the sole others have reported on over toward Barton way.

Metcheck's forecast was way off.......' 4 mph dropping to 2 mph.' betwwen 6 and 9 pm. in reality turned to be a steady double figure westerly backing SW. and only dropped a bit by 11.

A bumpy half hour on the ledge produced only 1 fat mackeral..... so no bass session to start! A much more comfortable trip downwind to Barton but looking for a spot to fish showed the effect of wind against tide as we wallowed around looking for bottom features...... impossible with over a metre of swell !!

Dropped anchor in about 6 metres and soon started what turned into a species procession.... plaice , bream, small ray [ unidentified], doggy, smoothhound, bass, eels , pout and several sorts of crab......... but NO SOLES.

Tried a few other spots...... Chewton Bunny, Friars Cliff..... these were quite snaggy bottom ground, not the smooth sand expected

But at least the wind eased and fishing became more relaxing; learnt a lot esp. about 'night sight' and how much easier it is to see your way about even without a moon.

Thanks again Paul .... a very different and enjoyable trip.

Alun.

PS. Coming in at 1.30 am. ....... there's still people about!...... at Mudeford a netsman sorting a gill net by head torch !! looks a bit suspicious or am I cynical ? Could this sort of activity explain the dead Mullet by the slip last week ?

Hi Alun

Hope the Plaice was tasty!

I also enjoyed getting out - the early start to pull the boat off the mooring was a bit over the top, and then the night session following - to say I was a bit sleepy would be the understatement - however a very enjoyable, and interesting session it was. Both from the somewhat surreal experience of navigating by torchlight, and landmarks, to the unexpected weather conditions..... I'm surprised we managed any fish at all....

Anyway I was chuffed the steaming light didnt pack up, after all the 'maintenance' I gave it earlier, and everything seemed to work well on the boat. I'll remember to bring some starlights next time !

I was also amazed by the amount of boat activity at 2am in the morning, and those three blokes piling into that dodgy looking transit van after jumping off that boat !

You're most welcome anytime to try another session. We'll get those soles eventually !

Anyone else had much luck towards southbourne ?

Regards

Paul

Interesting about the dodgy characters......

A few years ago I worked for the EA, (environment agency) for a few weeks. One night we took the patrol boat out at 3am in the morning to catch illegal netters in Xchurch harbour.

You can only net certian areas, and more concerning to the EA was the illegal netting of Sea Trout - I suspect this is what you may have seen. Mullet and Bass are just a bye-catch.

Glad the night trip went well. I have also found that going back in at night is much easier without any torches at all. Even on a cloudy night, their is enough light pollution to see the nav. bouys.

If you fancy another bash at the sole, let me know..I havent been this year, and you are welcome to follow us down to our 'secret' sole mark!

Yep, can do Weds, but tides aren't so good for a night session.

LW is at midnight, so we'd have to come in around 10pm. This works for me though, cus I have to get up at 5am on Thursday to take Karen into hospital for an operation.

I've got the week off, so can go at any time on Weds.

I'd be interested to see how XRay fishes into the night if we don't have sufficient time for the flatties.

Bob F.

Thanks for all your offers- any other forecast and it would have been perfect. I'm sure the company of another boat would be good - we were struggling to make a decision between the two of us whether to move, must be awful when there's more than one boat !

I've got the rest of the week off, to sail Poole Week regatta - and guess what... blowing old boots....I was also planning a trip out, but just looked at metcheck - what a shower of sh**e that website is ! the good old BBC reckn its sunny and force 2 for wednesday, metcheck says its 18mph and pi**%&g down !

So I'll wait till the morning and stick my head out of the window - shold be more realistic !!!!

On a serrious note, does anyone care enough to think about contacting the EA, this was a weekend, so may have been non-locals doing a bit of extra income moonlighting (without the moonlight) but you get my point.

Paul