Hydrofoil / Wings

Paul D

Put a pair of wings on the outboard for yesterday's trip out. These are smaller ones than Martin lent me before and they are angled upwards. ( The larger hydrofoils caused my boat to become unstable )

Much improved handling and got up to 15 knots ( which is an improvement ). I think the increased speed is due to the stern being lifted higher.

What stuck me was the smoothness of the ride into a rough sea - I could plough through at 9 knots with no problem.

Havent tried it yet but I might change the trim on the engine to move the propellor shaft closer to the transom, thereby lowing the bow of the boat further.

See, I said they worked biggrin.gif If the ones you tried first came off a big engine they probably would have created too much lift and caused the problem you first experianced.

15kts eh! I'm glad your getting near that 22kt claim Orkney make. Don't alter the trim what you need is a fat bugger sitting up front. Know anybody that might do? rolleyes.gif

Mad Mike

Paul, I agree with Mike. Rather than going through the trouble of altering the manual tilt on your engine, try moving someone well forward and back in the boat to see where the best trim (and thus speed) is obtained whilst you're on the plane.

Once you find the spot you can alter the manual engine tilt to produce the same result with the crew in their normal seated positions.

Yes, I too get a smoother ride in rough seas with the wings.

Bob F.