I think i'm getting a KAYAK :-)

Graham Nash

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a look at an Ocean Kayak "Caper" today, complete with seat/back reat and paddle ....... any comments from you lads that know your stuff???

Thanks

Graham

Graham.

That was my first ever kayak.It's a lovely stable fishing kayak and excellent for close in fishing and around the harbor on neap tides.

But it is a strugle in strongish tides,Or if you want to paddle some distance

Why dont you come along to the Flounder meet on the 5th of December at Rockly (lake pier).There will be loads of Kayaks to try out.If you havnt got a dry suit I can take mine along for you to borrow as I wont be using it that day.

I will be at the PBSBAC meeting on the 3rd of December if you want a chat about different kayaks.

Edited by Zzippy

many thanks Zippy, and I will be at the meeting on the 3rd.

My young lady however has claimed me for the 5th to take her and the kids up to London to see the lights and Hamleys, so although I tried everything in my power to ba able to come along on the 5th it was obviously not enough to get the better of "er indoors".

I must be honest, I am gutted that I wont be able to make it but I suppose I need to keep her sweet for when this blasted wind dies down so I can get out on the boat without too much grief from her.

I will keep my hand firmly in my pocket for now and will make sure I set aside a little time to chat to you on the 3rd.

Many thanks.

Graham

By all means try before buy, but I often say this, if you've not paddled a Kayak before, you'll probably make the wrong choice. Caper is great as Zzippy says in perfect conditions and will feel a most stable platform, add in wind, chop or a swell and you won't be too comfortable.

Go straight for an OK Prowler 13 or T13 as starting point, if you can fish with less storage space then try the Scupper Pro, although you'll need to be under 13 stone and 6ft 2 height.

Cheers

James

I agree with James there,a P13 is an ideal all rounder.I have one at the moment.You can pick them up second hand and all rigged up.

Your welcome to try mine out if you have a spare afternoon somewhere in the near future.

I have a spare afternoon somewhere in the future! I am also a long way from 13st and do not have a dry suit but I would love to actually catch a fish on a kayak.

I will need a biggy mind because I like to have plenty of gear.

Oh decisions decisions .....

I have some money that is burning a hole in my pocket and I am not sure I will be able to restrain myself till the 3rd.

If your going to get one without trying first the P13 is a wise choice and good all rounder wink.gif

I am on my 4th Kayak and its a p13.Just wish I had got one first time round.It would have saved me alot of money biggrin.gif

What about a Cobra Tourer? http://www.directboats.com/cotoka.html

15ft of sleek polyethylene beneath me :-)

or a maliby pro explorer like this one???? http://www.malibukayaks.com/kayak_explorer.asp

I cant really coment on the first one as they are mainly in the US.

But the second link is similar to the Malibu x13.To me they are a heavy slow kayak and cost alot over here.You can carry loads of kit.But do you need loads of stuff out with you?

The Malibu had a big following last year,but that seems to have dwindled away.Most people go towards the Ocean Kayak range.As I said...You wont go far wrong with a P13 wink.gif

Ha Ha, but I cant get a second hand fully loaded P13 immediately!!!!

I am a person of impulse and once i want, I buy. If I have to wait then my attention span is such that something else comes along and is the new "must have" smile.gif

You have to mind it doesnt leak either.There was a problem with the x13 last year.

If its what you want then go for it.But so many people have bought in haste wink.gif only a few months down the line they are changing their kayaks because it didnt suit their needs.

If you dont mind me asking ....what sort of price are they asking for the kayak?

To be honest, I would probably only ever use it for inside Poole Harbour (as I live very near Baiter) unless of course I joined you guys, but I would need to get a little fitter before I tried any of that.

As for the one of "anglers afloat", it looks very good but .... the seller is saying he needs something "more manageable" .... if its not manageable for him, it quite possibly wouldnt be manageable for me? Or am I missing something?

The guy that is selling it has not been well for some time so needs a lighter,smaller kayak.

When I got my first kayak(caper) I said I only wanted it for close inshore and in the harbor.But it never works out that way biggrin.gif.A few months down the line I needed a better one that would get me out further and less effort to paddle.

I am not fit.Far from it biggrin.gif (I excpect I am the same size as you).When we go out we always paddle the speed of the slowest person.In the summer/spring we dont seem to go so far out.Fish around Durley Rock/Poole patch and in the solent alot.

Edited by Zzippy

I have just emailed the seller on anglers afloat. Its a little outside what i wanted to pay, and an 8 hour round trip, but if we can agree something ...... you never know :-)

I think Maver(Steve)on this forum has a T15.Loads of storage space,Or he might have the smaller T13.

I travelled to the other side of Birmingham in heavy snow to pick my kayak up biggrin.gif