Outboard Oil

Adam F

What oil must I use in my OB??

I have a 1999 Mariner 50hp 4 stroke. I have been using the pukka Quicksilver jobbie, but was wondering if car engine oil can be used?

Not too bothered as uses very little - but have loads of car oil doing nowt in garage.

What oil must I use in my OB??

I have a 1999 Mariner 50hp 4 stroke. I have been using the pukka Quicksilver jobbie, but was wondering if car engine oil can be used?

Not too bothered as uses very little  - but have loads of car oil doing nowt in garage.

Aaaaaaaaaaagh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ohmy.gifohmy.gifohmy.gif

OK maybe a bit over the top but.........

O/B oil is especialy formulated to burn yet lubricate at the running temperature of an O/B. In a pinch one can use ordinary two stroke oil for use in aircooled M/C engines which run just a bit hotter than O/B's . BUT car engine oil NEVER!!

Car engine oil lubricates in an entierly differant way. Firstly it is designed to be recycled by going through the engie via the filter many times. This means that it's burn temperature is much higher so if used in a two stroke it will not be fully burnt on the exhaust stroke of the pistons and a gooey residue will quickly build up. This residue will be quite harmfull to the engine in many ways.

Mad Mike

post-6-1092761617.gif

The answer is pretty simple. What brand oil do you (plan to ) use for your Rav 4?If you take it to a Toyota garage, they will properly use Castrol or Durnham or something which they buy in @ 100 litre drum.

Then, you may ask, why are there so many brand of oils and the costs can vary between

....but if you read the post I have a 4 stoke???!! blink.gif

I know how oil works in a 2 stroke....but isnt a 4 stroke similar in many ways to a car?

Well bugger me I didn't see the bit about yours being a four stroke ohmy.gif

That's a whole kettle of a differant worm blink.gif

A very good question and one I admit to not knowing the answer to but.........

A cars engine has a pressurised water cooling system that works above the normal boiling point of water. Therefore the lubricant is designed to work within the temperature gradients apparant in a modern 4 stroke cars (pressureised cooling) system. However I think that your O/B will have a direct water cooling system and therefore work at under the boiling point of water. This being the case the specified O/B oil may be of a lower viscosity because it runs at lower temperature than automobile engines. Having said that there are some high spec low viscosity oils available for the motorist but I bet they cost more than the pukka O/B stuff.

Mad Mike

Adam, did you get a manual with your engine?

If not, it would be worth getting one from the web.

The manual will tell you the type of oils you can use (type number).

My Suzuki 4 stroke will run with normal four stroke motor oil used in cars.

You can use any oils which are rated SE, SF, SG, SH or SJ under the API classification system (whatever that is tongue.gif ).

The viscoity rating should be SAE 10W-40, ideally, or if you cannot find this, the following are ok but with a smaller temperature range.

10W-50

15W-40

15W-50

20W-50

cheers

Bob F.

Hi Adam

You have the same engine as me but the 50hp version. rolleyes.gif

Handbook says:

(Quote)

SAE 10W-30 viscosity oil is recommended for use in all temperatures.

SAE 25W-40 viscosity oil may be used at temperatures above 40F (4C)

Use Quicksilver or Mercury Precision Lubrucants 4-stroke outboard oil or 4-cycle marine engine oil with the proper viscosity for the expected temperature in your area.

If not available use a premium quality 4-cycle engine oil, certified to meet or exceed any one or combinations of the following American Petroleum Institute (API) Service Classification SH, SG, SF, CF-4, CE, CD, CD11

(End quote)

Seems like you can use a good quality car engine oil with out any problems.

Out of interest can you advise me how much the oil filter is as I need to carry out an oil change on my engine.

Regards

Coddy

cool.gif