Weymouth Squid 04/10/09

Overrun

Hoping this would be third year lucky, having missed the Squid on the last two years, headed the 40 miles down to Weymouth Sunday afternoon. Zzippy (Mark) had spotted a free car park on the esplanade. Drove up to find he'd reserved me a spot with his P13 cool.gif, fine chap!

20 yards to the water, even a little ramp onto the beach. Sea flat, we could just about make out CJ and John over towards the Pavilion Pier. By the time we'd crossed the bay, inspecting a gill net on route mad.gif , they'd launched. Introductions over headed around and south of the Stone pier:

user posted image

Chatted to the shore anglers on the way, bit of banter like you-do biggrin.gif . CJ was into a Squid pretty much straight away, and another, followed by John. Then Mark was in and I was beginning to wonder what was wrong with my set-up. Swapped around rigs, gave up on the flashing led ice fishing lure, chopped a Mackerel feather off the second rod and tied on a Squid jig. Darkness was descending rapidly, Clive (CJ) was into another as was John. Paddled near to them and wallop. Didn't it go too on 6-12lb boat rod, put-up a good struggle, squirted water all over the place when on the surface. Taken aback by the size, these things are intimidating with their huge eyes and aggressive behaviour .

user posted image

Swiftly despatched by a whack behind the head with my chopping board. No. 2 followed quickly, with jets of water in my general direction laugh.gif . Dealt with promptly before getting inked.

user posted image

Sport died away as HW passed, moved in closer to the Stone pier and exchanged more banter with the shore anglers, they'd clearly had a few, but not as many as us biggrin.gif.

In the distance a we could see the big Condor Seacat ferry returning. Stood aside as it passed by into the harbour. Drifted under the orange lights on the Pavilion pier, hooked another in 8ft of water but it fell off while videoing . John and Clive packed-up around 21:30. Mark and I tried the harbour between the piers under the orange flood lights. Had a take on the first drift, videoed again although it wasn't that fussed about squirting water.

We packed-up shortly after, mission accomplished, fantastic if a little bizarre evening's fun. biggrin.gif

user posted image

Excellent evening,good weather and sea conditions.It was good to meet you for the first time John and to meet up with you again Clive.

Just finished preparing my 2 squid for tonights dinner tongue.gif

We will have to all meet up again soon.Maybe a day session to coincide with an incoming tide.

Just a couple of pics of my squid.I forgot my camera last night so just took a couple ;D

user posted image

user posted image

Charlie.

We seemed to have more takes just before dark and on the incoming tide.So going to try a day session next time to see which fishes best.

I made the beer batter mix as written by Alun in the recipe thread.It was excellent wink.gif