Alternator charging

Coddy

Hi all

I was out on the boat today testing the replacement oil lines etc. when I noticed that there was no charge going on and the Rev counter was not working. It was working ok before I left the mooring.

Now I have had a look on a web site about charging problems and they suggest that if the red warning light bulb has blown it stops charging.

My question is would the rev counter stop as well if the bulb has blown?

When I turn the engine off and then get it ready to start the red lamp does not light up. unsure.gif

I suspect that the brushes may have worn out but do we have any auto electrians in the club that could suggest an alternitive solution?

Anyone with more suggestions?

Dave

weep.gif

Dave

If the indicator lamp is blown, there won't be an exitation current to start the altenator charging.

Being a diesel your revcounter is almost certainly driven by the altenator, so no output = no revcounter.

Edited by Brian

Hi all

Well the saga continues! dry.gif

The bulb is ok, was hoping it had blown as cheaper option.

Lamp circuit ok so it looks like the alternator has failed.

Took it down to a Bosch auto electrics to see if it can be fixed and/or cost.

My problem is that it is not the orginal alternator that normally comes with the engine as it has been uprated and it has a tap off for the rev counter (W terminal).

Oh well, when it is fixed I might be able to get out again. sad.gifsad.gif

Whilst on the boat I replaced the rocker cover gasket as I noticed that was leaking, so while I was at it I checked and ajusted the tappets.

So with any luck ph34r.gif I might be getting there.

Dave

cool.gif