Mercruiser 1.7SD engine

wrasster

Has anybody else in the club heard about pistons blowing in the Cummins/Mercruiser 1.7 diesel engines. Have one in my boat and this news has rocked my confidence in it. Trying to find out from the Agent at the Boat Show, but would be glad to hear of any experiences or even hearsay from club members. Thanks

Dennis sad.gif

Dennis I think you will find that your engine is from the vauxhall van if its pre 2000 ish you can adjust the engine power ecu chip that may cause problems with the pistons if its 2000 on you have no adjustment so problems solved I had an open boat with 2005 1.7 that I ran flat out most of the time with no problems

you will always get people telling you that engine crap because it went wrong for someone but if you change the oil and filters when you should it should last mercruser would have changed it if it had problems

mark w

Yep. I looked at one of these to re-engine a Featon 630 a few years ago.

I was warned away as they are a small high revving deisel that needed to run flat out to get the power they needed in most installations - that meant that whilst OK in many instances, they have a high instance rate of failures, such as pistons and big ends going.

Do an internet search - plenty of info.

Adam