Radio tip

Afishionado

If you find there is no radio traffic on channel 16 but on the other hand there are loads of people talking on channel 91...... AND your hand mike wont reach the clip.

Try checking if you've mounted the radio right way up......................

Wild horses would not drag from my lips the name of the person involved ..... but I could be bribed laugh.gif

Mad Mike

Why is it I saw this post and the author and exclaimed "Oh No !!??"

Try monitoring Channel 6 as well as 16 ( assuming you have a dual watch set ).

Or is it 91 and 9 smile.gif

Everyone fishing currently uses channel 6 to communicate ( including the charter skippers yesterday who were discussing world record throwing attempts huh.gif )

Seriously, how busy is C16?

On the occasions I'd been out, I'd only ever heard a couple of transmitions each time and I switch it off after about 1/2 hour cos the back ground noise bugged me too much.

Newboy

Is the background noise you describe a hissing noise? if it is your radio is probably not set up correctly.

Try playing with your squelch control, turn it one way untill you cannot hear the noise if it wont stop turn the control the other way until it stops. You should always monitor channel 16 in case someone is ever in need of assistance. Most radios have dual watch which meens you can listen to two channels ie 16 and 6 but 16 will always take priority. If you do use dual watch remember to switch it off before transmitting or you may well end up transmitting over channel 16

Have you done the vhf course yet?

Indeed are there any club members that need to take the course? let us know, we may be able to arrange another course if there is enough interest

Martin

Have you done the vhf course yet?

Indeed are there any club members that need to take the course? let us know, we may be able to arrange another course if there is enough interest

Martin I took my VHF course about 3 years ago and have now lost the certificate. If they can not be duplicated or there is a time limit on renewal I definatly need to go ion the next available course please.

Mad Mike

I'm pretty sure (99.99%) that the short range radio course is for life and you will always have it.

However, the boat licence is renewable annually and if you ley it lapsed more than 2 (may be 3) years you lose it and have to apply for another one.

I gpt my cert back in April and I'd already forgotten most of the course ...... blink.gif at leaast I think I still know how to send a mayday.

The noise is more of hissing but also crackling, there would be someone speak (very) once in a while but the seq buttom doesn't help much. Anyway there's no way of trying it now, as it was taken off the boat last week and won't be fitted for a few more week.