Hand brake on trailer

Newboy

I presume up is on and down is off, just like in a car?

Towed mine back yesterday, I'm sure I put the handbrake down but when I got home the hand brake is the up(ish) position, can the handle be 'bounced' up (handbrake on) on bumpy roads? (The car did feel sluggish, under power on the A303 back).

Now the handbrake doesn't seem to work, any suggestions.

Hmm...never heard of a handbrake moving to the on (up) position before.

I wonder if the emergency cable (wire) that you hitch to the car was somehow pulled too tight and was pulling the brakes on????

If your handbrake is not working now (i.e. the brakes do not come on), I guess you'll have to look at the brake shoes and see if they have worn down. You may be able to adjust the brake setting with the ratchet that you access through the back plate, but I suspect that the mechanism is rusted solid and not automatically adjusting the brake setting. It will be a case of stripping them down and releasing the rusted parts. It's fairly easy to do, if you've done it before.

Bob F.

Are the brakes shoes the one used in the braked mechenicm? The self braking bit still works fine, in fact a little to well, it jerked me all the way back from Devon.

It's the first time I've towed a braked trailer and not used to being 'stabbed' in the back everytime I braked a little too hard. dry.gif

Just thinking, it could have been the hitch cable, I did a very very sharp left coming out of a service station carpark and it was more or less after that ....

P.S Hitch cable, is it illegal to attached it to the tow ball or any part of the tow bar assembly? I was using the tow eye which is 1' to the right of the tow bar.

The stabbing in the back when you brake is the braking mechanism that is behind the tow hitch ball. It is fairly normal to feel the trailer brakes grabbing when you brake the car, and is supposed to happen.

The fact that up can feel this means that the brakes on the trailer are working (or were working).

The brake adjustment I was refering to was a ratchet wheel or cog that is accessed through a hole in the back plate of the wheel hub (just like on a car). Not sure if your particular trailer has this. What make is the trailer??

The hitch cable is supposed to be clipped to a tow bar or a secure area on the car. Apparently, it is NOT acceptable to loop the hitch cable around the tow bar, it must to clipped or secured somewhere. My tow bar has a small metal bracket with a hole in it which the tow hitch clips to.

Brakes - What are those ? smile.gifsmile.gif

Newboy, I thought your boat was smaller than mine and my Orkney sits on an unbraked trailer ( 750 KG is the weight limit for unbraked ).

I don't suffer from "Stabbing in the back" problems, just problems stopping laugh.giflaugh.gif !!

( Mind you the car stopped pretty quickly when someone pulled out in front of me the other day ?!? )

In the Police we had a saying........." A pat on the back is merely reconnaisance for the knife!!!", hearing you discuss stabbing in the back.

Yes its now illegal to loop your snatch line to the tow ball, it has to be secured to another point on the tow bar, its not a three pointer, is a reportable offence, so if you're stopped by an over zealous plod, you may end up before the magistrates, probably a small fine

Regards, Rich...................good luck with the new boat

ooooh ech!!!

Interesting this...my older Suzuki Vitara had a purpose made bracket to connect the snatch line to.

...but my new 406 with factory fitted tow bar has no such place to attach the snatch line.

If it's a legal requirement, why do they not supply a fitting for the snatch cable??? sad.gif