monster from the ledge

JIMBOB

Well at last my first eel of 2004 and what a fish biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif after almost turning round to go home due to the swell breaking over the ledge, We decided to stick it out and try and get a few mackrel and see what the sea was going to do.

After and hour or so the waves died back and we had filled the bait bucket with mackrel and bagged a few bonus pollock, kev also managed a nice bass. we then sneaked over the ledge and had a bash for a ray but with no joy just loads of lsd's and a few pack tope so as darkness fell it was back to the ledge for a conger.

Kev was in first with a good fish right on slack water but the main problem was getting it in!! as I had left my gaff on Bw and had no net! sad.gif so i had rigged up a gaff with some 8/0 hooks, heavy mono, tape and a deck brush!!!! but it didnt work and as the eel came half way over the side the hooks straightend and he was gone we estimated it as a good 40 biggrin.gif

then before I new it my rod was bent double and it was my turn, after what felt like forever i played my fish while kev re rigged the gaff/broom!!! After several attemps we finaly got him on the gaff and this time it worked and the biggest eel ive ever seen was flapping on taras deck!! the scales were flickering between 58 and 66 lbs so I think a can settle for a 60lber and a new pb by 5 lb biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

After the photos I thourght I better reel in my light rod incase I got anouther eel of that sort of size on that!! only to find that I had a fish on wich after a hart stopping moment when I thourght it was anouther eel. It turned out to be a 9lb 8oz huss biggrin.gif

Cant wait to get back out biggrin.gif

James

Well done, I see you were that excited that you logged on at 1:30 in the morning to write up !!

( Even more amazing is Newboy replying at 1:49 AM smile.gif )

You don't need a lot of sleep when you get to my age...... sorry, I forgot you'd already been to my age .... rolleyes.gif

Guest Guest

Nice one James,

You did say there were a FEW MONSTERS OUT THERE lurking about.

That one gave the Cub record a close run, shame it was not calmer so that a better reading of the scales was not possible.

Nice improvisation to get it onboard, but I hope the fish went back OK.

150% specimen in the book.

a very good achievment in its self

A very good fish that will take some beating. perhaps I have not loaned you the conger shield after all wink.gifwink.gif

A couple of my usual Conger marks seem to have gone very quiet, perhaps its time to start trning left not right when I leave harbour at night.

I bet the net and Gaff are on board now

Well done

Charlie

Charlie biggrin.gif