RNLI and new Ofcom charges

gjb

For info/action. Please forward to anyone you think might help by signing the petition.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/308...s-to-close.html

The background:

RADIOS BILL MAY SCUPPER RNLI

LIFEBOAT crews fear being scuppered by crippling new charges for using their radios from Ofcom, the communications regulator. The RNLI could see the price of using its VHF emergency frequencies rise to

It might be worth checking for some RNLI politics and press "interpretation" on this as I believe the RNLI use of VHF marine radios by the lifeboats is exempt from the proposed charges. It is the use by the RNLI of "other radio services" that are subject to charges. It has been queried elsewhere why the RNLI have a big (ish) budget for private radio services that appear to be nothing to do with S&R. BTW, not a direct criticism of the RNLI but an observation that maybe not all the details are visible.

Alan.

It might also be a bit controversial, but why is the RNLI a charity....? OK it works well, and they have the freedom to operate and dictate their own policies, but you've got to wonder whether their funding is wholely sustainable in the future.

Especially as they have an ever growing number of shouts (majority these days, I think to shore based members of the Public)

I'm a personal member, and have been ever since owning a risk which floats, but their business accounts are a bit of a mystery to me. Unfortunately, taking Alans point, its not always possible to know what you are voting on, and the No10 forum doesnt allow any discussion.

I'd be interested to hear any further details of the proposed legislation - Mike Fox ?? Anyone??

Paul

Edited by Sinbad

Reproduced here :-

Ofcom consultation on introducing Administered Incentive pricing for the maritime and aeronautical sectors: October update

Ofcom continues to support the established principle of applying discounts to spectrum fees payable by charities.

The RNLI may see its charges fall as a result of our proposal to offer a single, lower cost licence for multiple users.

Ofcom is making no proposals to impose charges on Mountain Rescue teams for radio spectrum.

Consultation still open