Commercial fishing ban

Maverick Martin

huh.gif I agree in principle with the idea of banning the bigger boys, but in Weymouth, there are 5-6 smaller boats that fish around the breakwaters and in the bay. These are individuals that fish in a perfectly sustainable way. There is no way these smaller boats can take their prawn pots, crab pots and small trammels more than a mile out. Perhaps we could rephrase to say boats over say 7mtrs. I hope you can see that point of view lads. Regards, BB

I wonder how a 1 mile ban would affect the Oyster and Mussell industry in Poole Harbour, because that's commercial fishing.

I feel the petition should target nets and trawling within 1 mile of the coast. I can't see that a blanket 1 mile ban has any hope, though it would clear the lobster pots from close to the beaches.

Edited by Brian

I think it would be unrealistic to ban potting and small scale shellfish extraction from within a mile of the coast but banning netting of all types would benefit everyone eventually and the small inshore fishermen who still want to target finfish could always become skilled anglers!

Pete

I would have thought that, at best by signing a petiton like this, it will lead to a review of the current framework. Even if you don't agree with a blanket ban, is a review a bad thing? Personally, I don't think so.

Newboy if you mean this http://www.linecaught.org.uk/linecaught.htm, I agree.

Yes, that's was what I meant.

The logic in the petition itself isn't sound.

He is pitching all anglers against the commercial boats rather than people who wants to look after the fish stock against the commercial netters/trawlers.

As an angler who loves relaxing drift fishing for plaice,I have seen the decline in my last few years due primarily I'm sure to lines of nets stretching from Poole entrance over Hook sands and eastwards round the bay. My local tackle dealer urges me to forget plaice drifting and diversify. Would these unattended lines of nets be included in the ban?? I have signed anyway if it only stops the beam trawler that circles regularly off of Bournemouth pier and the Durley's.

On a more optimistic note I disregarded the tackle dealers advice and this weekend my pal and I netted 8 plaice biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif . Nothing huge and most returned . So never say die and good luck with this petition.