Trailer Tyres

Malroy

First of all, apologies if you have already covered this.

Outfit is Warrior 150 with the unbraked roller coaster rated at 750kgs.

Last year I decided to replace the trailer tyres (6years old I think as they were the trailers originals) although the tread pattern was still quite deep as the walls were showing their age and I wanted the comfort factor of new tyres every 4 years or so.

Although the tyres were commercially rated they were only rated to 355kgs each -a total of 710kgs on the axle which is lower than the trailers carrying limit, plus a max inflation of less than 40psi.

Have towed caravans for around 20 years and have had the unpleasant task of motorway towing with a tyre failure. This happening with a tyre that visually looked in excellent condition but which was around 6 years old.

I always winter store on axle stands to prevent soft spots in the walls however it still happened.

My a**e went and I promptly adopted the Caravan Clubs Policy of renewing every 4 years or so even if visually sound or only part worn which I also now do on my boat trailer.

I managed to get 8 ply + commercially rated (just under 500kgs each) with a max inflation around the 60psi mark. Size is 12" & they were just over the

Good points Malc.

I too have heard issues about the tyres on trailers, esp. Warrior/Indespension. I think I have 6ply on mine, 165 I think?

Havent heard about changing the tyres every 4 years though...I will cetianly adopt that poilicy. What with flares and tyres going out of 'date' ...it gets pretty expensive!!

I can only get mine to about 34/5 PSI. So thats where they stay!

When I 1st got the boat I was a little alarmed as they seemed to bugle a little when underway. However I think 35 is about right, and the 'give' in the tyres gives a nice soft ride.

Hi all

I have got the owners guide from Indespension for the Warrior trailer, mine is a Hallmark Roller Coaster 3. I have 165 x 13C tyres.

I have listed the tyres and pressures as given by Indespension

TYRE SIZE PSI BAR

145 x 13 35 2.4

165 x 13 36 2.45

165 x 13C 64 4.45

175 x 13 36 2.45

175 x 13 6PR 54 3.75

185 x 13 6PR 54 3.75

185 x 14 8PR 65 4.5

140/70 R10 62 4.25

155/70 R12 PCD112 75 5.2

155/70 R12 PCD140 90 6.2

155/80 R13 35 2.4

In case anyone is unclear about maximum towing speeds blink.gif

Single Carriageways 50mph

Dual Carriageways 60mph

Motorways 60mph ........... NOT allowed in the third lane sick.gif

The above ONLY applies if the GVW of vechicle & trailer (Train weight) is less than 7.5 tonnes.

Hope this helps someone

Coddy

cool.gif

Guys, noting Coddy's last point on max towing speeds, here's another little gem for you re. towing regs, under the good old construction and use regs Road Traffic Act......its not road legal to attach the snatch link over your tow ball, it has to be fixed to an independant point, ie to another part of the towbar. Dont give plod any reason to tug you.............will spoil yer day!! There, that's me retired bobby hat off, now.................lets get fishing!

Rich

So why do they supply a snatch cable with the trailer - the perfect size, length and shape to slip over the tow bar? My snatch wouldnt fit through the hole on the anchor point.

So do I need to attched a seperate cable / chain??

Adam, yep, the cable length is generally enough to wang over yer ball, so to speak, however, most towbars have an area just behind the ball that allows the steel cable to be slipped around, its just a little pointer that will stop the over zealous traffic cop from sticking you on, if you're squarred up on traffic regs. The thing that gets you stopped most, from an ex cops point of view, is the condition of the trailer, as most cars on the road are MOT'd. Trailers are'nt YET, but the overall condition will alert the old bill into giving you a tug........then its the old numbers game, if he hasn't whacked enough people on for the day, you become a statistic!!!

Nah...............not me, I was one of the good guys!!!! wink.gif

Regards, Rich

Paul, again, the number plate displayed on the trailer must match the one displayed by the towing vehicle...........construction and use regs again. However!!!!! Now that you cant just roll into a garage and demand a number plate to be pressed, you need the vehicle log book showing registered keepers etc. This one in particular is an old fave of the over zealous traffic plod. He will generally stick you on for this one...............its a dead easy ticket to write, gets him a tick in the box, and keeps sarge of his back. Its the same old story, the good guys get poleaxed by the peelers, and I dont mean crabs, the villains still walk the streets.

Regards..............Rich