Reels needed

AHoy

To celebrate entering my second year of angling (and to boost my confidence biggrin.gif ) I have started to move on from my borrowed/well-used kit and started acquiring some better tackle. I now have a reasonable range of rods but need some reels to add to the couple I already have, so any recommendations to suit:

1) ABU Conolon 4-10oz uptider

2) Ugly Stick Gold 8-12lb class

3) Shimano Speedmaster 12-20lb class

I would also look at an uptider/reel combo deal if anyone can recommend a good offer as family interest in fishing is developing so might need the additional rod.

As usual looking at all the web offers doesn't help without knowledge of what is good and what is rubbish kit. Advice welcome blink.gif

Alan.

A good multi purpose reel that will actually suit all three rods if pressed to do so (especially the uptider) will be the Penn 535.

It's fast and a good caster. It is probably marginally better on the 12/20 than the 8/12, but don't discount it.

It's super tough unlike some of the rubbish new Jap Abu's (European ones are first class) that seem to have gears made of chocolate (just my opinion).

For the little rod, look at something like an Avet SX (see the Rok Max website).

A Penn 535 loaded with 30lb braid and an appropriate shockleader for downtiding and uptiding will do well for the two bigger rods and then an Avet Sx will provide loads of enjoyment on the little rod.

Tom

PS: Forget Shakespear reels at the moment they are pap.

Tom,

Like this:

Penn 535GS

For heavy shore fishing and uptiding. Fast retrieve and large line capacity make the GS535 a reel workhorse which is ideal for rough ground work and uptiding

Graphite construction, alloy spool, 4 ball bearings, 6:1 retreive, centrifugal brakes and capacity of 400yds of 15lb mono

I just happened to be on the Veals/Penn webpage when you posted wink.gif

Hi Alan,

I use a Swedish made Abu 7000 for most of my fishing, and it has coped fine with bass, tope and conger to 40lb in the last year. It's about 7 years old now.

I've also got a couple of Shimano TLD 15's for the 30lb class gear. Not the fastest retrieve available, but good strong construction, lever drag and allegedly they last many years.

George has the Shimano 2000 charter special which is broadly similar in construction, but has a level wind.

Keep your options open, and maybe try a few from others if crewing, or have crew?

mike

Tom,

Like this:

Penn 535GS

For heavy shore fishing and uptiding. Fast retrieve and large line capacity make the GS535 a reel workhorse which is ideal for rough ground work and uptiding

Graphite construction, alloy spool, 4 ball bearings, 6:1 retreive, centrifugal brakes and capacity of 400yds of 15lb mono

I just happened to be on the Veals/Penn webpage when you posted wink.gif

Exactly like that one Alan.

Or as Mike said, the smaller Shimano TLD's are OK. They feel a little lumpy, but are real (or reel) work horses.

The Penn (do you get the feeling I am plugging Penn wink.gif ) 320LD is a very similar reel, albeit fractionally smoother feeling, to the Shimano equivalent and has a reasonable retrieve.

It would sit nicely on the 12/20 when downtiding, leaving the 535 for the uptider.

Thanks for the advice. Looks like I could be sorted then with a couple of Penn reels (535GS and 320LD), although the 320LD is a bit over my budget. I need to kit out for 4 rods in use and I already have a Shimano TLD15 and ABU 7000BG. Maybe something lighter for the small rod later. Now to go in search of the best deals.

I agree, I have found "nearly new" bargains that have knocked 30% off the new price and came loaded with braid. Always worth keeping an eye out.

As for new, I have a few TLDs and they are always washed down and with the odd splash of the wd40 add they are bullet proof. I would suggest unless you are meticulas at cleaning and servicing, I would stay away from anything that has too much bright shiny bling on it.

Good luck

Gordon

Edited by Manic Moore

some good advice , and I also think that quality is better than quantity!

my preferred reels are

975LD with 30lb braid

calcutta 400S with 14lb braid

these always get fished on a rod onboard - the latter for drifting or light gear only of course - whilst the other gear gets varied by whim.

over the years the penn 25gls has been a star at delivering without complaint about the odd time I forget to clean up properly - similar to the tlds.

get yourself a couple of good ones rather than a load of others would be my view - it took me 7 penn reels before I finally bit the bullet and got the 975ld; cheaper to have got it early! (it does need care though)

If you want a quality bit of kit for the speedmaster then try the shimano tekota 600. I have got this set up and it is the dogs wotsits! Silky smooth retrieve and the drag is superb. cool.gif

Can't complain about the Penn reels, I have a couple that dont get used that much anymore but have had them for 10 years + and although they need a service now are still in good working order. I have a 535 which has never put a foot wrong and a mag beach reel which is great.

I have to say though that in my experience you cannot beat shimano reels for reliability and as previously stated workman like performance. I bought a TLD star in the US over 15 years ago, it has never been serviced, never gets washed after trips and generally gets a good beating up but it is still going strong.

I have to agree with tom on Abu reels. I use the rockets for beach fishing and they are fine but had a 7000 for boat fishing which broke after 9 months and a smaller lever drag that has never worked, after going back to Abu three times it still does not work, It is now in the bin! I think that the reel mike has used for 7 years was made before they were built elsewhere. I am sure if you look after the new reels they are fine but I am not one for washing and servicing reels. blink.gif

Hope that helps.

Edited by Deep Sea Dean

I would back up what others have said and get quality rather than quantity

I have some very old and still good abu 7000's that i have used uptiding and drift fishing for 20 years or more.

for lighter work I tend to also use abu 6000 or 6500

All of the above stem from my shore fishing days, but the fact that they are still going strong some 20 years since I last did any serious shore angling. will give you a guide to the lifespan of buying good ones and looking after them.

For other fishing we use Shimano TLD's

The boys have grown up using my TLD15 or TLD20 they have survived so well that Dan has now bought his own TLD15 [ Sanction indeed as he does not spend his money freely wink.gif ]

The only exception to the above seems to be spinning reels, where we seem to have a collection of cheaper fixed spools. they are mostly used for breaming and the odd flounder trip and seem to cope well with this occasional use. biggrin.gif

Charlie biggrin.gif

Alan

As others have said Penn are good and I have a 535GS and found it great as well as a number of other penn reels.

However, I do have a couple of Shakespear reels, Neptune and some other name I can't recall, but they get used & occasionally washed and generaly kicked about. They have never let me down, had many fish on them and easy to use and dismantle. Would reccomend them to anyone on a budget or just want a spare reel for something.

Coddy

cool.gif

Rich, where could I purchase said bearings for a 975? Mine sounds like a bag of spanners at the moment after 3 years of abuse sad.gif

Al

Al

Sorry to jump in, but this is Penn's dedicated reel man.

He can either carry out the service or send parts as required.

Ewen Hill

Penn Shakespeare UK Ltd

Unit 15

Evans Business Centre

68 - 74 Queen Elizabeth Avenue

Hillington Industrial Estate

Glasgow

G52 4NQ

Tel: 0141 880 9029

email: service@pennfishing.com

He is an absolute legend and his service is impeccable.

Tom

Edited by TomBettle

Rich, where could I purchase said bearings for a 975? Mine sounds like a bag of spanners at the moment after 3 years of abuse sad.gif

Al

Al

Sorry to jump in, but this is Penn's dedicated reel man.

He can either carry out the service or send parts as required.

Ewen Hill

Penn Shakespeare UK Ltd

Unit 15

Evans Business Centre

68 - 74 Queen Elizabeth Avenue

Hillington Industrial Estate

Glasgow

G52 4NQ

Tel: 0141 880 9029

email: service@pennfishing.com

He is an absolute legend and his service is impeccable.

Tom

I can second this, I was recently in need of some innards for a reel and Ewan was first class!

Although I think he struggled a bit with my westcountry accent! wink.gif

Thanks again for all the info, focusing on specific models makes checking out for deals a lot easier.

Looks like my first addition will be a new Shimano Calcutta 400S that nobody else wanted to bid for on an auction site biggrin.gif Thanks for the tip Duncan.

A.

Tom, no offence was taken, no worries. However, on checking Penn prices and turna around with the bearing source I have, I can turn round a reel in 1 hr 45 mins, from leaving my gaff, collecting the new bearings, fitting them and servicing said reel.........at a quarter of the Penn cost! Excatly the same bearing too!

Duncan...... did the bearings I supply you stand up ok?? I'll reckon yes...also ask BB he has used some of my sourced bearings. Why pay ludicrous sums to Penn when SCH will supply perfect examples at a quarter of the cost?? Postage is lax around here, so its far quicker for me to walk there and collect even!!!

Its about personal choice, mine here is not to furnish Penn with extra pennies!

Rich....................................now.........

Go and hook some Tarpon (hehe) made me giggle.