Desiel Engine Spares

Coddy

Hi all

I was wondering what you guys suggest to carry as spares on the boat for desiel engines?

I can see fan/pump belts, fuel filter, some engine oil but what else?

I am sure there is so much you can do when at sea should something fail!

Coddy

cool.gif

For what its worth

I Carry

Engine spares, Belts, Spare impellor, Oil and Fuel filters, fuses. Engine and stern drive Oil, engine coolant.

Boat spares

Lamps for Nav lights, deck lights, fuses for bilge Pp's electrical tape, various crimp on fittings, various lengths sizes of hoses and jubillee clips. cable ties, rubber bungs, rags

some sealant, General purpose grease, spray oil, and anti moisture spray

and of course most important a good collection of tools

No point in being a Marine Engineer and carrying half a ton of spares if you do not have tools available.

Hope that helps

Charlie, [i am sure as the boat grows older so the list will become longer.]

I would add a supply of self amalgamating tape (for rubber pipe repairs), power steering fluid and even more fuel filters (p & s) to Charlie's list in respect of the engine.

Also add a bit more oil than seems prevalent in the posts so far and having the oil drain pump on board so that you can deal with an oil leak many hours from home by 'recycling' - equally funnels of various sizes. Drive oil if you have a resovoir - if not it's not going to help a lot!

If you widen it to electrics etc the list gets quite long and there are elements of 'craft specific' that creep in.

don't underestimate a good torch or other illumination for the engine bay for work after dark and an intimate working knowledge of your fuel system!

Sorry Duncan you are right

I forgot the steering oil, funnels etc

As for torches I have a fairly good one tucked down next to the helm seat and I have a 500watt spotlight on an long lead that can plug into any of the cigar lighter type sockets in the cabin/hold and engine bay.

Charlie

Duncan

were do you get your filters and engine spares from

mark w

hyphose on the nuffield estate for primary fuel filters - everything else from the Yanmar agent in Cobbs Quay (Purbeck Marine) or the one in Lymington if I am passing who has also been helpfull for bigger issues!

Thanks for that Duncan

I hope to be getting faeton nextweek if surveys ok on monday

mark w

hope it goes well - I gather it's going to be nicely spruced up though and I am worried Phaeton wil look shoody alongside............

looking forward to some nice weather windows

no chance of that Duncan my mate wanted to look a it last week

and he cant beleive i am going to buy it

it will need a bit of work to make it up to my standard i normally buy newish boats

that have been looked after, but this one has not .the turbo looks likes its been used as an anchore its got that much rust on it

having looked back at pictures on yours i would say mine has been aboused what i cant understand if you pay good money for a boat why you find people cant look after it just to spray some wd 40 on the engine would cost a pound or so but stop so much corrosion